Dodgers right-hander Josh Beckett had his season cut short last July due to thoracic outlet surgery, but he’s ready to reclaim his spot in the starting rotation this spring.
According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Beckett threw 30 pitches in a bullpen session today without any visible discomfort. Interestingly, he said that he felt numbness and tingling in his fingers “for years” and often “had no idea where [the baseball] was going to go.” He’s hoping for better results after surgery.
But now, “I’m not tentative,” Beckett said. “I’m going to throw as hard as I can and see what happens. Right now, I feel great. I’ll throw the ball until I blow out and I’m hoping that’s not for a few more years.”
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly isn’t making any promises, but Beckett is the likely favorite for the fifth spot in the starting rotation if healthy and effective. The Dodgers added left-hander Paul Maholm on a one-year deal over the weekend as an insurance policy.
Beckett, who turns 34 in May, is owed $15.75 million this season in the final year of a four-year, $68 million contract originally signed with the Red Sox.
Update #2 (6:21 PM EST): Make that $37.5 million, per Heyman.
Update (6:02 PM EST): The deal is for “around” $37 million with deferrals that lower the present-day value, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that free agent 1B/OF Mark Trumbo is close to a deal with the Orioles. He first reported that the two sides were back in touch earlier on Thursday afternoon. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the deal is expected to be for three years and under $40 million.
Trumbo’s market hasn’t developed as he expected. The slugger turned down the Orioles’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. Then the Orioles reportedly made a four-year contract offer to him in December but pulled it off the table. Most recently, a report indicated that Trumbo lowered his expectations to a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range.
Trumbo, 31, led the majors with 47 homers for the Orioles this past season. He also hit a solid .256/.316/.433 with 108 RBI in 667 plate appearances. With Trumbo back in the fold and some slight offensive upgrades made, the Orioles figure to have a formidable offense in 2017.
The Astros avoided arbitration with pitcher Mike Fiers, agreeing on a $3.45 million salary for the 2017 season, per Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle. The right-hander was in his first of three years of arbitration eligibility.
Fiers, 31, made 30 starts and one relief appearance for the Astros in 2016. He finished the year with a 4.48 ERA and a 134/42 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings.
Fiers had a much better showing in 2015 as well as in limited action in 2014, so the Astros are hoping he rediscovers that effectiveness going forward. He’ll slot into the back of the starting rotation.