Grady Sizemore

Grady Sizemore: “I’m healthy, I’m good to go”

23 Comments

Grady Sizemore, who turned down a deal with the Reds to sign a $750,000 contract with the Red Sox, arrived at spring training yesterday and sounded pretty optimistic about his health status after sitting out all of 2012 and 2013.

Sizemore hasn’t been healthy and effective since way back in 2009, but he’s still just 31 years old and can earn up to $6 million from Boston via incentives.

Here’s what he told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com:

I’m healthy. I’m good to go. There will still be some things that I’m working on this spring, just trying to get back to 100 percent. I’m not necessarily in baseball shape but I’m in good physical shape, moving around good. I’m just looking forward to playing baseball.

It’s all going to be bad early. Not bad, but it’s going to be rusty. Any offseason you come in you feel rusty, but when you haven’t played in two years and the better part of four years you’ve been injured. Timing is going to be off. It’s going to be tough. Obviously it’s going to be a big adjustment early. Just not going getting too frustrated, knowing you’re going to go through some bumps early on and that’s expected.

Sizemore is basically a $750,000 lottery ticket for the Red Sox, which is a drop in the MLB payroll bucket. Last time he played a full, healthy season he finished 10th in the MVP voting, won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger, and made the All-Star team. But for a sense of how long ago that was: Evan Longoria was the AL Rookie of the Year.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.