Unfortunate news from Corey Brock at MLB.com:
SAN DIEGO — Padres left-hander Cory Luebke will miss his second consecutive season after it was determined that he’ll likely need a second reconstructive surgery on his left elbow.
Luebke, 28, had an MRI on Friday that showed a tear in the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow.
Luebke had his first Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on May 23, 2012 and apparently never fully recovered from that procedure. The southpaw looked like a budding star in 2011 when he registered an outstanding 3.29 ERA, 1.067 WHIP and 154 strikeouts across 139 2/3 innings as a rookie, but elbow issues have now completely derailed his career.
“I feel bad for him … from 2011 through the first part of 2012, he was certainly on his way,” Padres general manager Josh Byrnes told MLB.com on Tuesday. “This is a real setback. There’s been a lot of missed time. Hopefully in a year or so, he can get back to being Cory Luebke. This whole thing has been a mystery.”
The one big consolation for Luebke is that he signed a four-year, $12 million contract extension with the Friars in his first taste of salary arbitration. That deal pays him $3 million in 2014 and $5.25 million in 2015.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.