Twins prospect Miguel Sano has high expectations for himself in 2014

9 Comments

MLB.com recently released their list of the top 100 prospects in baseball. The Twins, as expected, had two of the very best with outfielder Byron Buxton at #1 and third baseman Miguel Sano at #4, sandwiched between Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras and Diamondbacks pitcher Archie Bradley. The expectations are already high for Sano going into 2014, and many expect him to join the big league club at some point during the season after getting his first taste of Triple-A competition.

Sano hit 35 home runs with a .280/.382/.610 line last season, split nearly equally between Single-A Fort Myers Double-A New Britain. Sano himself expects to dwarf those numbers in 2014. Via Phil Miller of the Star Tribune:

“I hit 45 this year. More games,” he said. “Maybe 55, you never know.”

[…]

His next project: Developing a better grasp of the strike zone, in hopes of becoming a more patient hitter. Sano seemed excited about the possibility after Joe Mauer offered to work with him in Fort Myers, Fla., next month. Considering he posted a .382 on-base percentage in 2012, drew 65 walks last year and 80 the year before, he’s already displayed plenty of patience.

But Sano is characteristically thinking big. How many walks this year? “Hundred and 20,” he said. “Maybe 150.”

When Jason Parks of Baseball Prospectus published his top-ten prospect list for the Twins in November, he called Sano “the best all-around power threat in the minors”. Sano has simply just given us yet one more reason to keep an eye on him as he moves his way through the Twins’ system.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
7 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.