Jonny Gomes met the media before last night’s Boston Baseball Writer’s dinner and he had some choice words for Alex Rodriguez, reports the Boston Herald:
“He does steroids or whatever, it sucks. He does this or that, it sucks. He’s always in the news, it sucks,” the Red Sox left fielder told the Herald yesterday before the 75th annual Boston Baseball Writers’ dinner. “But this is the players’ union he’s going against. It’s all of us. Not a real good idea . . . I don’t think it’s really a good idea to go after our union. Down to my (expletive) kids, down to the benefits we have, down to our retirement fund, the union makes our lives better. We pay dues to the union for our rights.”
This is not the first time Gomes has voiced his opinion on A-Rod. Back in August when Rodriguez returned from the disabled list and played while appealing his then-211-game suspension, Gomes spoke out against PED users in general and, with specific reference to Rodriguez, said “I hope our dues aren’t being used for his lawyers’ fees.”
Gomes is certainly entitled to his opinion and his opinion on Rodriguez is in the clear majority based on everything we’ve heard about player sentiments on the matter. At the same time, when union members, like Gomes, are on record saying that he’d prefer that the union not defend A-Rod, and when his opinions on A-Rod are later shown to be quite in step with other members and union leadership — really, what Gomes is saying here echoes exactly what union leadership told the players just the other day — it’s not hard to understand how someone like A-Rod can come away believing that maybe, just maybe, the union didn’t have his back. Which is the central claim in the portion of the lawsuit which relates to the MLBPA.
Three players were suspended on Monday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. They are: Indians pitcher Steve Delabar, Mariners pitcher Jonathan Aro, and free agent pitcher Jeffry Hernandez. Aro got a 50-game suspension while the other two were handed 80-game suspensions.
Delabar, 33, hasn’t pitched yet this season after signing a minor league deal with the Indians back in January. He spent last year with the Reds as well as the Hiroshima Carp in the Japan Central League. The right-hander has struggled over the last few seasons.
Aro, 26, also hasn’t appeared yet this season in the minors. He’s worked mostly in relief. The right-hander appeared briefly in the majors with the Mariners last season and logged 10 1/3 innings in the show with the Red Sox in 2015. Aro went to the Mariners along with Wade Miley in the trade that brought the Red Sox Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.
Hernandez, 22, is a free agent and his suspension will be effective if and when he signs with a new team.
The Phillies announced on Monday that starter Aaron Nola has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 21, with a lower back strain.
Nola, 23, compiled a 4.50 ERA with a 15/6 K/BB ratio over his first three starts spanning 16 innings. He felt some back soreness during his last start on Thursday against the Mets, and it lingered when he had a side session on Sunday.
CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury hears that the Phillies are likely to call up Nick Pivetta from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Nola’s place in the rotation. Nola was scheduled to start on Wednesday.
Pivetta, 24, was acquired from the Nationals in the Jonathan Papelbon trade in July 2015. At Triple-A so far, Pivetta has given up only two earned runs on 12 hits and two walks with 24 strikeouts in 19 innings.