Marlins haven’t discussed a contract extension with Giancarlo Stanton

22 Comments

The Marlins and outfielder Giancarlo Stanton avoided arbitration on Friday, agreeing to a one-year, $6.5 million deal for the 2014 season. As MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports, however, the two sides haven’t discussed a contract extension:

For months, Miami had stated it was open to discussing a multi-year deal with the 24-year-old right fielder. Such conversations never took place between the club and Stanton’s agent, Joel Wolfe of the Wasserman Media Group. The reason is both sides felt the timing wasn’t right.

Instead of at least sketching out the framework of what a major deal would look like, negotiations centered specifically on working something out for the upcoming season. By hammering out the agreement on Friday, the two parties came away pleased with how the process played out.

Stanton, who is tied with Robinson Cano at 117 for the ninth-most home runs since the start of 2010, has been the subject of trade rumors for quite some time. They will continue to pop up as long as a contract extension remains off the table. Stanton is eligible for arbitration going into the 2015 and 2016 seasons as well, and he projects to make a lot of money. The Marlins cut payroll from nearly $102 million to open up 2012 to just over $50 million on Opening Day last season. Unless they make a big free agent signing in the next month, they will likely see their Opening Day payroll in the $40 million range.

In the past, the Marlins have traded their star players as they approach free agency. It portends to be the case with Stanton as well.

Blue Jays, Josh Donaldson to table extension talks

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images
6 Comments

Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports that the Blue Jays and third baseman Josh Donaldson are tabling extension talks as the two sides weren’t able to build any momentum towards agreement on a new contract.

Donaldson said, “We’re not quite there. That, to me, right now is not the major focus and I’m turning the page.” He added, “I want to play this season and really focus on winning games because, ultimately, our goal is to win a World Series and I don’t want to hinder that at all.” Donaldson also said he expects to hit free agency.

The 32-year-old avoided arbitration with the Blue Jays last month, agreeing on a $23 million salary for the 2018 season. He’s a free agent at season’s end. Last year, the three-time All-Star hit .270/.385/.559 with 33 home runs, 78 RBI, and 65 runs scored in 496 plate appearances. Donaldson missed six weeks in the first half with a calf injury, but was able to return and post terrific numbers, so his health — at least that aspect of it — shouldn’t be a concern going into spring training.

If Donaldson does reach free agency, he’ll join a star-studded group that will likely also include Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Charlie Blackmon, and A.J. Pollock.