There was a healthy dose of skepticism when it was reported in November that Carlos Santana was working out at third base, but it sounds like a position switch could actually happen.
In a story (link in Spanish) by Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Santana said that he’s “getting ready to play third base, no other position” and that “those are the plans of the team.”
The experiment is clearly a priority, as the Indians sent infield coach and third base coach Mike Sarbaugh down to the Dominican Republic to help Santana with the transition while he was playing in winter ball. While there have naturally been some struggles, the reviews have been mostly positive. However, Indians general manager Chris Antonetti recently told Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that the club will wait before making a final decision on his role for 2014.
“The most important thing is that he’s working hard at it. He’s committed to being the best player he can be at the position, which is great. That’s all we’re looking for at this point. We’re months away from having to make any sort of evaluations or decisions.”
Santana played some third base early on in his pro career as a farmhand with the Dodgers, but he hasn’t done so since 2008 when he was in High-A ball. While the position switch is a bold idea, it’s easy to see the benefits of the experiment, as Yan Gomes could take over as the full-time catcher in 2014. If Santana can’t cut it at third, he’ll likely split time between catcher, first base and DH like he did last season. The Indians still have Lonnie Chisenhall as a fallback possibility at third base, but he has been a disappointment so far in the major leagues.
With just over a month to go before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, trade rumors are beginning to crop up. According to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports, the Red Sox and Yankees have each reached out to the Marlins about infielder Martin Prado.
The Marlins enter play Wednesday 35-40 and in third place in the NL East. They are expected to continue to sell after trading shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria to the Rays. However, as the club itself is in the middle of rumors with a handful of prospective new owners, major pieces like Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich probably won’t be moved until that is settled.
Prado, 33, is hitting .277/.299/.398 with two home runs and nine RBI in 87 plate appearances. He has played in only 21 games due to calf and hamstring injuries. When he’s healthy, though, he is typically productive and he can play all four infield positions as well as the outfield corners. Prado is under contract for the next two seasons as well, at $13.5 million and $15 million.
With either the Red Sox or Yankees, Prado would likely assume third base. The Red Sox have gotten a major league-worst .562 out of its third basemen while the Yankees have gotten a .678 OPS, 24th out of 30 teams.
The Cubs oddly made an extra visit to the White House on Tuesday. After winning the World Series, the team visited then-President Barack Obama — a Chicago sports fan — in January before he left office. But they went back today for an “informal” visit with President Trump.
The Cubs, however, have ties to the Republican party and to Trump. The Ricketts family are Republican donors and Cubs owner Tom’s brother Todd was Trump’s nominee for deputy secretary of commerce. Manager Joe Maddon is also longtime friends with Lou Barletta, the Republican representative from Hazleton, PA.
Some players chose not to join their Cubs teammates for a trip to the White House. 10 players, to be exact, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. None of those players declining to go offered a political reason, understandably so. But reliever Carl Edwards, Jr.’s excuse made a lot of sense. He said, “I’m trying to go see like the dinosaur museums.” Indeed, Edwards could have spent the afternoon at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.
Other players declining to visit the White House included Jake Arrieta, Hector Rondon, Jason Heyward, Pedro Strop, Justin Grimm, and Addison Russell.