Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig has been arrested twice over the past eight months for reckless driving. That has been enough for him to move over to the passenger seat. At least for now.
According to Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles, Puig spoke with Dodgers president Stan Kasten on Thursday and told him that he has hired his cousin to drive him around for the time being.
“I give him credit for taking that step if nothing else,” Kasten said during a radio appearance on ESPNLA 710.
Puig was arrested in Tennessee back in April for going 97 mph in a 50 mph zone. The reckless driving and speeding charges were dismissed after he performed community service. His latest arrest came last month in Florida after he was clocked for going 110 mph in a 70 mph zone. One would like to think that Puig has enough willpower to control himself on the road moving forward, but this is one way to ensure that it won’t happen again. As a millionaire athlete, he can afford that luxury.
Tigers’ right-handed reliever Francisco Rodriguez was released on Friday, per a team announcement. The club recalled fellow right-hander Bruce Rondon from Triple-A Toledo in a corresponding move.
The former closer got the boot after losing his closing role in early May, giving left-hander Justin Wilson a chance to impress at the back end of the bullpen. It’s been a rough year for Rodriguez, who manufactured six blown saves and a 7.82 ERA, 3.9 BB/9 and 8.2 SO/9 over 25 1/3 innings for the Tigers. The final straw, it seemed, came with Robinson Cano‘s grand slam in the seventh inning of the Tigers’ 6-9 loss to the Mariners on Thursday.
While the demotion to a clean-up role and an apparent lack of communication caused Rodriguez considerable frustration, he’s two years removed from his last dominant performance as a major league closer and has shown few signs of returning to form. His recent slump doesn’t diminish the impressive totals he’s racked up over his 16-year career — 437 saves and six All-Star nominations among them — but if he can’t break out of it soon, he may not receive the kind of high leverage role he’s seeking with another big league team, either.
The Red Sox have signed third baseman Jhonny Peralta to a minor-league deal. He’ll report to Pawtucket.
Peralta, 35, hit a paltry .204/.259/.204 in 58 plate appearances for the Cardinals this year. But with Pablo Sandoval on the disabled list — and ineffective when he hasn’t been — the Sox could use some infield depth.
This is the second former Tiger that former Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski has picked up today, after signing Doug Fister. No word if he’s kicking the tires on Andy Dirks or Brennan Boesch.