Starlin Castro hoping to recoup $3.6 million seized by Dominican baseball school

6 Comments

Paul Sullivan, Cubs beat writer at the Chicago Tribune, has the story:

On Wednesday it was revealed Castro had $3.6 million from his bank accounts in the Dominican Republic frozen over a contract his father signed when he was 16, agreeing to give 3 percent of his major league earnings to persons involved with a baseball school in the Dominican.

Castro’s agent and attorney believe the contract will be nullified in a Dominican court when all is said and done, and Castro will get to keep his money. The Cubs have remained mum, monitoring the situation from afar.

Castro has known about this issue for over a year and his countersuit claims that it had “direct impact on his duties as a professional ballplayer, leading to one of his worst-ever statistical performances.”

Castro did indeed struggle in 2013, batting just .245/.284/.347 in 705 plate appearances.

Chris Sale’s streak of starts with at least 10 strikeouts ends

Adam Glanzman/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox starter Chris Sale entered Wednesday’s outing against the Rangers with at least 10 strikeouts in eight consecutive starts, tying a record he already shared with Pedro Martinez. He failed do break the record, racking up only six strikeouts in 7 1/3 innings. Fortunately, the Red Sox scored seven runs in the bottom of the seventh to put him in line for the win. Sale gave up four runs (three earned) on six hits and a walk.

After Wednesday’s outing, Sale is sitting on a 2.34 ERA with a 101/14 K/BB ratio in 73 innings. So far, so good for the Red Sox, who acquired Sale from the White Sox in December.

Sale previously racked up 10 strikeouts in eight consecutive games between May 23 and June 30 in 2015 with the White Sox. Pedro Martinez accomplished the feat for the Red Sox between August 19 and September 27 in 1999.

Dave Dombrowski gives John Farrell a vote of confidence

Rich Gagnon/Getty Images
3 Comments

Earlier, we learned via Tuesday’s report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that Red Sox manager John Farrell could find himself on the hot seat given the team’s slow start and a couple of incidents with Dustin Pedroia and Drew Pomeranz.

Tim Britton of the Providence Journal spoke to Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, who gave Farrell a vote of confidence. Dombrowski said, “We all have our pluses and minuses. But when I see some of the things we’ve talked about, I don’t know how you say that’s John Farrell’s fault. It’s not his fault that we’ve scuffled to pitch in the fifth spot with [Kyle] Kendrick and [Hector] Velazquez. The injury factors. Really in many ways, I tip my hat to our guys, led by John, that we’re in the position that we’re in right now. We’re three and a half out on May 24. There’s a long time to go. We haven’t gotten buried.”

Dombrowski added, “He’s our manager. He’s done fine. If I didn’t think that, then he wouldn’t be in his role.”

Farrell is signed through 2018 as the Red Sox exercised his ’18 option in December. That doesn’t mean the Red Sox can’t let him go, but given the lack of realistic options to step in and fill Farrell’s shoes and Dombrowski’s vote of confidence, it looks like the skipper has job security for now.