Alex Rodriguez “optimistic” about case against MLB

19 Comments

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez made an appearance yesterday at a charity event hosted by Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. His contentious arbitration hearing against MLB came to a close last month, so he’s currently waiting on independent arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to decide whether his 211-game suspension will be upheld. With a ruling expected early next month, Rodriguez told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he’s “optimistic” that the process will have a favorable outcome.

“I feel good. I have limits what I can talk about. I look forward to Horowitz making a decision and putting this behind me and getting back to hitting in the middle of the lineup,” Rodriguez said.

“I’m optimistic, hopefully. It’s been a very tough several months. Very tough year. I’m optimistic that [a decision] will come soon,” he said. “We can get it behind us and take all the stuff off the back pages and focus on playing baseball and all great things that are happening with the game.

“Make a decision, whatever happens, let’s move forward.”

Rodriguez scored a key victory this week when a judge ruled that his P.R. guy won’t have to testify against him — at least for now — so he has reason to feel pretty good at the moment. Still, A-Rod and his lawyers have already made it clear that he’s prepared to take MLB to federal court if Horowitz doesn’t rule in his favor.

Steve Delabar among three suspended after testing positive

Leon Halip/Getty Image
Leave a comment

Three players were suspended on Monday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. They are: Indians pitcher Steve Delabar, Mariners pitcher Jonathan Aro, and free agent pitcher Jeffry Hernandez. Aro got a 50-game suspension while the other two were handed 80-game suspensions.

Delabar, 33, hasn’t pitched yet this season after signing a minor league deal with the Indians back in January. He spent last year with the Reds as well as the Hiroshima Carp in the Japan Central League. The right-hander has struggled over the last few seasons.

Aro, 26, also hasn’t appeared yet this season in the minors. He’s worked mostly in relief. The right-hander appeared briefly in the majors with the Mariners last season and logged 10 1/3 innings in the show with the Red Sox in 2015. Aro went to the Mariners along with Wade Miley in the trade that brought the Red Sox Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.

Hernandez, 22, is a free agent and his suspension will be effective if and when he signs with a new team.

Phillies place Aaron Nola on the disabled list

Win McNamee/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Phillies announced on Monday that starter Aaron Nola has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 21, with a lower back strain.

Nola, 23, compiled a 4.50 ERA with a 15/6 K/BB ratio over his first three starts spanning 16 innings. He felt some back soreness during his last start on Thursday against the Mets, and it lingered when he had a side session on Sunday.

CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury hears that the Phillies are likely to call up Nick Pivetta from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Nola’s place in the rotation. Nola was scheduled to start on Wednesday.

Pivetta, 24, was acquired from the Nationals in the Jonathan Papelbon trade in July 2015. At Triple-A so far, Pivetta has given up only two earned runs on 12 hits and two walks with 24 strikeouts in 19 innings.