Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox

56 Comments

It was reported two weeks ago that the Red Sox had checked in on the availability of Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that he remains “in play” as a potential trade target for Boston.

A potential match makes sense on paper, as the Dodgers have a surplus of outfielders and the Red Sox might not be ready to hand a starting job to Jackie Bradley, Jr. following the departure of Jacoby Ellsbury. Cafardo hears that the Dodgers would be willing to absorb some of the six years and $128 million remaining on Kemp’s contract in the right deal. Kemp is coming off two injury-plagued years, so the big question is how much would be enough to get the Red Sox interested.

Kemp’s agent, Dave Stewart, told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he has discussed the possibility of a trade to the Red Sox with his client. His comments were pretty interesting.

“Boston is a good place,” said Stewart, a message 180 degrees removed from what Kemp’s teammate, Crawford, said repeatedly after being traded by the Sox in 2012. “It’s a good city to play in, especially when they’re winning championships.

“I’m 56 years old, and people are still buying me dinner there, and I played for the other team. I told Matt about the city. The key to playing in the city is to perform. Compete, play good-quality baseball, don’t dog it. If you don’t perform, nobody’s going to like it.”

Stewart said he believes Kemp would have no reservations about playing for the Red Sox. “And the opportunity to play with Big Papi, he’d love to play with him, learn from him.”

Stewart isn’t sitting in on trade discussions, so he’s just speculating like the rest of us. Still, he has a “strong feeling that something could happen” at next week’s Winter Meetings. Kemp’s contract does not include a no-trade clause, so the Dodgers would not need him to sign off on a deal.

Another young fan was struck by a foul ball, this time at Guaranteed Rate Field

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
4 Comments

ESPN reports via the Associated Press that a young boy was struck by a line drive foul ball but was not seriously injured during Sunday afternoon’s game against the Royals. The boy and a woman were escorted by a first aid crew to the concourse area and the boy was later eating ice cream in a luxury suite.

A woman was struck in the face by a foul ball also on the first base side at Guaranteed Rate Field on Friday, but she didn’t request medical assistance.

Last week, a young fan at Yankee Stadium was hit by a line drive foul ball, which motivated several teams to commit to extending protective netting at their ballparks. The Yankees, strangely, were not among them. Nor were the White Sox.

Diamondbacks clinch NL Wild Card

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
3 Comments

Losses by the Cardinals to the Pirates and the Brewers to the Cubs on Sunday clinched an NL Wild Card berth for the Diamondbacks. Their walk-off, 3-2 win over the Marlins earned them hosting rights for the Wild Card game.

The D-Backs, now 90-66, trailed the Marlins 2-1 going into the bottom of the eighth. Daniel Descalso tied the game at two apiece with an RBI single off of Brad Ziegler. Second half hero J.D. Martinez secured the win with a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the ninth against Javy Guerra.

The Rockies beat the Padres on Sunday to increase their lead over the Brewers (+2) and Cardinals (+2.5) for the second Wild Card slot. One of these three teams will visit Arizona for the Wild Card game.

The Diamondbacks are back in the playoffs for the first time since 2011, when they lost the Division Series in five games to the Brewers.