cano-110316.standard[1]

Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now

94 Comments

No, there’s very little chance that Robinson Cano will resemble a $24 million player in 2023.

But at least he’s better than that now. In a world in which Jacoby Ellsbury is worth $22 million annually and middle-rotation starters get $10 million-$13 million per year, it’s hardly unreasonable to value Cano as a $30 million player.

Over the last five years, Cano ranks first in the majors in rWAR. He’s never been the game’s best player in that span, but he’s always been excellent and he’s never been hurt. He’s finished 17th, 3rd, 6th, 4th and 5th in the AL MVP balloting the last five seasons. During that span, his worst average is .302, his worst home run total is 25 and he’s never played in fewer than 159 games. In fact, he’s played in 159 games in seven straight seasons.

So, the Mariners are getting as much of a sure thing as there is in baseball, at least for the next few years. Cano will be 31 next season. He’s demonstrated no sign of decline so far, but it will come. The back half of his contract will be ugly. They usually are. But that’s acceptable. At least Cano is strong enough offensively that he should be a decent enough regular in his upper-30s, even if it’s as a first baseman.

What the Mariners can’t do, though, is stop with Cano. Second base wasn’t even a problem area for them. They would have let youngsters Nick Franklin and Dustin Ackley battle for the position if Cano had gone in a different direction. Now those two are trade bait. Packaging one of them with right-hander Taijuan Walker might bring David Price from the Rays.

That’s a high price to pay, though. Better if the Mariners just sign a couple of more key free agents, especially now that their second-round pick is gone anyway. Ideally, they could bring in Shin-Soo Choo, too, though many suspect he’ll go to the Yankees with the money the Bombers were saving for Cano. A starter from the Matt Garza-Ervin Santana-Ubaldo Jimenez trio would make sense. Nelson Cruz is also a likely target. I’m not as taken with him — he’s an overrated hitter and a poor defender — but he would supply some pop. Carlos Beltran, Stephen Drew and Corey Hart would be better targets.

Ideally, the Mariners need two more quality players out of this. Then they could be taken seriously as a 2014 contender. They still wouldn’t be the favorites in the AL West, but it would certainly be enough to get the fans excited again.

White Sox ace Chris Sale scratched for ‘clubhouse incident’

saleclose
Getty Images
5 Comments

CHICAGO — Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale was scratched from his start against the Detroit Tigers on Saturday night after he was involved in what the team said was a “non-physical clubhouse incident.”

Sale, who was to attempt to become the majors’ first 15-game winner, was sent home from the park.

“The incident, which was non-physical in nature, currently is under further investigation by the club,” general manager Rick Hahn said in a statement. “The White Sox will have no additional comment until the investigation is completed.”

The White Sox clubhouse was open to reporters for only 20 minutes before it was closed for a team meeting before the game. Manager Robin Ventura did not discuss the incident later in his pregame availability.

Right-hander Matt Albers started in Sale’s place and the White Sox planned to use multiple relievers. The crowd booed when Albers was announced as the starter as the teams warmed up.

Sale had been shown as the starter on the scoreboard until about 15 minutes before the scheduled first pitch, which was delayed 10 minutes by rain.

With the White Sox fading from playoff contention, Sale’s name has been mentioned as a possible trade target for contending teams.

The left-hander, 14-3 with a 3.18 ERA, has been outspoken in the past.

Sale was openly critical of team president Ken Williams during spring training when he said the son of teammate Adam LaRoche would no longer be allowed in the clubhouse. LaRoche retired as a result, and Sale hung LaRoche’s jersey in his locker.

The 27-year-old Sale has said he’d like to stay in Chicago. He was the 13th overall pick out of Florida Gulf Coast in 2010 and has been selected as an All-Star five times. He started for the American League in this month’s All-Star Game.

Sale, who is 71-43 in his career, entered the day leading the majors with 133 innings pitched and three complete games.

In his last outing Monday, Sale allowed one hit over eight shutout innings before closer David Robertson gave up four runs in the ninth in Chicago’s loss to Seattle.

The White Sox, who started 23-10, had dropped eight of nine games before Saturday and sat in fourth place in the AL Central, creating speculation that Sale and fellow lefty Jose Quintana could be dealt.

Hahn said Thursday the White Sox were “mired in mediocrity” and hinted at possible big roster changes.

Tigers GM Al Avila said before the game that many teams were looking for starting pitching.

“Yet there are not as many good starting pitchers available,” Avila said. “And the guys that may come available are going to come at a steep price.

Pirates recall pitcher Glasnow to start against Phillies

glasnow
Getty Images
Leave a comment

PITTSBURGH — Right-hander Tyler Glasnow has been recalled from Class AAA Indianapolis and will make his second major league start Saturday when he faces the Philadelphia Phillies.

Glasnow lost to the Cardinals at St. Louis on July 7, allowing four runs in 5 1/3 innings. He was 7-3 with a 1.94 ERA in 18 starts with Indianapolis.

Catcher Elias Diaz was also recalled from Indianapolis while right-handed reliever AJ Schugel was optioned to the same club. Catcher Eric Fryer was placed on the paternity list after his wife gave birth to twins – a boy and a girl – on Saturday.

The 25-year-old Diaz underwent arthroscopic right elbow surgery May 3 after being injured in spring training. He has played in a combined 12 games at three minor leagues, hitting .341, after making his major league debut with the Pirates last September.