Robinson Jose Cano Getty

Robinson Cano’s dad says the Yankees “don’t seem to want” his son

65 Comments

Last we heard, free agent second baseman Robinson Cano was reportedly on a private plane to Seattle to meet with the Mariners, who are prepared to offer him $225 million over the course of a nine-year contract. Meanwhile, the Yankees have been pretty firm about how high they are willing to go in negotiations. And as of now, it’s nowhere near $225 million.

According to Christian Red and Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Cano’s father takes this rigid stance as a sign that the Yankees don’t want his son back.

The Yankees insist they want Robinson Cano to remain part of their pinstriped family. The patriarch of Cano’s actual family isn’t convinced that’s the case.

“The Yankees don’t seem to want him,” Jose Cano told the Daily News when asked about his son’s status with the Yankees.

The Yankees want him back, but the Mariners appear to be doing everything in their power to pry the All-Star second baseman away from New York.

Multiple reports Thursday night indicated the Mariners were readying a nine-year offer worth $225 million for Cano, who was on a plane headed for Seattle to meet with club officials.

A $225 million offer would dwarf the Yankees’ current seven-year offer of $165-170 million, leaving the Mariners more than $50 million ahead of the Bombers.

There are high stakes involved here and a lot of emotions at play, so we probably shouldn’t look into Cano’s comments too much. He’s talking about his son, after all. But this is a business and every team needs to draw a line somewhere. At the same time, you can’t blame Cano if he ends up signing for the most money possible, even it’s in Seattle. On a related note, you always have to wonder where these leaks about contract proposals come from and who would stand to benefit from them being reported. Just something to keep in mind amid the Hot Stove hysteria.

For what it’s worth, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman suggests that the Yankees could move on to Shin-Soo Choo and Omar Infante if Cano ends up choosing the Mariners.

UPDATE: Cano also spoke to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York and said that his son is looking for a 10-year deal while the Yankees have only offered seven. He also indicated that he was irked by Brian Cashman’s comment from the GM Meetings that Cano “loves” money:

“I don’t know why he said that,” Jose Cano said. “I don’t know exactly everything. Tell me, who doesn’t love money?”

Cashman’s comment aside, Cano maintains that his first hope is for his son to remain with the Yankees.

Jung Ho Kang’s DUI arrest was his third since 2009

PITTSBURGH, PA - JUNE 10:  Jung Ho Kang #27 of the Pittsburgh Pirates fields a ground ball in the second inning during the game against the St. Louis Cardinals at PNC Park on June 10, 2016 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Last week Pirates infielder Jung Ho Kang was arrested in South Korea for driving under the influence of alcohol and leaving the scene of an accident. That’s bad, but it turns out that it’s nothing new. The Yonhapnews Agency reports that Kang has been arrested for DUI three times since 2009:

Gangnam Police Station in southern Seoul confirmed that it was Kang’s third DUI arrest, with the three strikes law resulting in the immediate revocation of his license. According to police, Kang had also been arrested for a DUI in August 2009 and May 2011. No personal injuries were reported in either case, though he’d caused property damage in the latter incident.

The report also notes that a companion of Kang initially claimed that he, and not Kang, was behind the wheel at the time of the accident which led to Kang’s arrest last week. It was later revealed by the car’s black box, however, that Kang was driving. So add in some obstruction of justice, whether it is charged or not, to the scene. Police are investigating that.

Between all of this and the fact that Kang is under investigation for an alleged sexual assault in Chicago this past season, a pretty ugly portrait of the Pirates’ infielder is beginning to reveal itself.

Under Armour to become MLB’s official uniform provider in 2020

ua
3 Comments

This is interesting. Majestic Athletic has been baseball’s official uniform provider for decades, with its relationship with Major League Baseball dating back to the early 80s when it started providing batting practice jerseys. But that’s going to end after three more season:

As CNBC’s Jessica Golden reports, this will be Under Armour’s first official uniform deal in major professional sports. UA does, however, sponsor a number of individual players, most notably Bryce Harper.

MLB has just released a statement about it:

Beginning in the 2020 MLB season, Under Armour will be the exclusive MLB provider of all on-field uniform components including jerseys featuring prominent Under Armour branding, baselayer, game-day outerwear, and year-round training apparel for all 30 MLB Clubs.  Fanatics, a global leader of licensed sports merchandise, will be granted broad consumer product licensing rights to manage the manufacturing and distribution of Under Armour and Fanatics fan gear, which include jerseys at retail, name & number products and Postseason apparel. Under Armour and Fanatics expect to offer an assortment of new fan gear apparel and accessories at retail, prior to the 2020 season.