The Yankees have no plans to offer $200 million to Robinson Cano

28 Comments

It was reported earlier today that the Yankees and Robinson Cano are “oceans apart” in contract negotiations. And just in case there was any doubt, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that the Yankees aren’t willing to budge from their current position.

Long baseball’s spending leviathan, the New York Yankees are adamant their stance in negotiations with the star second baseman is not pure posturing, sources told Yahoo Sports. Despite Cano’s request for a nine-year, $252 million deal in the parties’ last meeting, the Yankees do not believe Cano is worth the highest average annual value in the game and are sticking hard by a seven-year, $160 million offer that they tell executives and agents may have $15 million of wiggle room.

“They are not going to go to $200 million,” one executive familiar with the Yankees’ plans said. “Period.”

This sounds like posturing on the part of the Yankees, but until another team steps up as a legitimate threat to sign Cano, they have little reason to compromise on their valuation. As of now, the Mets are the only confirmed team to meet with Cano’s representatives, but they aren’t expected to pursue him. For what it’s worth, Passan hears from officials that the Nationals and Mariners might be the biggest threats. But until that happens, the Yankees appear content to wait him out. Hard to blame them, really.

Report: Twins sign Erick Aybar to minor-league deal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Twins have reportedly signed free agent shortstop Erick Aybar to a minor-league deal, LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune reported Friday. FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman adds that the deal comes with a potential $1.25 million if Aybar reaches the majors, with additional incentives based on plate appearances. He’ll be able to opt out on March 27. The team has yet to confirm the signing.

Aybar, 34, is now four years removed from his career year in 2014. He’s been in a state of steady decline since then, slashing just .234/.300/.348 with seven home runs and 11 stolen bases over 370 plate appearances for the Padres in 2017. His poor performance wasn’t helped by a fractured left foot, either, which cost him almost six weeks on the disabled list.

Still, the Twins see something promising in the veteran infielder, and reportedly intend to use him as another utility option this spring. Per Neal, Aybar will join fellow backup infielders Eduardo Escobar and Ehire Adrianza and may even (temporarily) take over for Miguel Sano at third base if Sano isn’t able to shape up for the role by Opening Day.