As MLB and NPB work toward a new agreement on how Japanese players will be made available for negotiations with U.S. clubs, a report is out which suggests a new possible framework: maximum bids.
That comes from Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, who reports that MLB’s proposal to Japanese officials calls for a maximum amount for bids on players exposed to the posting system. While a report earlier in the day suggested that, if more than one team makes a max bid, the team with the worst record gets the right to negotiate with the player, Brown denies this. Rather, all teams who bid the max would be allowed to negotiate.
Like Brown says, though, this is just a proposal. Ultimately, NPB is looking for a way to extract top dollar for negotiation rights while MLB is looking for a way to cap the bids and, if possible, benefit teams with worse records and/or lower revenues. Obviously something will have to give before an agreement is reached.
Red Sox starter Drew Pomeranz hasn’t pitched in a week due to soreness in his left forearm. He threw a bullpen on Thursday afternoon and said, “I definitely feel like I can maybe help (as a reliever in the playoffs,” as ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.
The Red Sox clinched the AL East on Wednesday, so they don’t need to rush Pomeranz along. And using him out of the bullpen might ultimately be best as he regressed quite a bit after coming to Boston from San Diego in July. In 13 starts with the Red Sox, Pomeranz has a 4.68 ERA with a 69/24 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 innings.
Eduardo Rodriguez and Clay Buchholz have been throwing the ball quite well as of late. Paired with Rick Porcello and David Price, the Red Sox still have the depth to be menacing in the postseason.
Remember Jesus Montero? The former Yankees and Mariners prospect? Well, he was picked up by the Blue Jays back in March after the Mariners waived him and played 126 games for Triple-A Buffalo this year. That went alright, I suppose, with Montero hitting .317/.349/.438 with 11 homers. He played a bit of first base too, trying to break the mold he’s been stuck in as a 26-year-old DH.
If this season was a platform for him to make one last push to the bigs, the platform was just pulled out from under him: he has been suspended for 50 games after testing positive for dimethylbutylamine (DMBA), a stimulant in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The minor league season is over, of course, so he’ll serve that suspension next season. Assuming the Jays keep him in the fold.