Shelby Miller AP

Wanna hear about Shelby Miller’s wedding?

9 Comments

Hey, there’s nothing going on in the baseball world right now, so why the heck not?

Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller wed his girlfriend of two years, Amy Peters, earlier this month in Missouri. And the wedding got a rather lengthy (around 1,400 words, actually) write-up in the New York Times.

As you’ll see in a little snippet below, it has all the trappings of your typical New York Times wedding announcement:

For the last two and a half years, Ms. Peters, 22, has been Mr. Miller’s most loyal cheerleader. They met in June 2011, when he began playing for the Springfield Cardinals, a minor league team; Ms. Peters was a member of its cheering squad. “We had to sign a piece of paper telling us we could not socialize with the players,” she said. “I’ve always been really bad at following rules.”

Their love story began like that of many couples barely out of their teens: physical attraction, similar personalities and a lot of chemistry. But they would soon test whether their bond was strong enough to survive the world of professional baseball.

“I had noticed immediately that Amy was beautiful,” Mr. Miller said, and he was drawn to her lively and outgoing personality. He wasted no time in calling her — despite the fact that he had recently started casually dating someone else.

There’s a lot more where that came from. A lot. Basically, get ready to learn more about Miller than you ever cared to know.

If anything, Miller managed to use the announcement as a dig at the Cardinals for not using him during the playoffs. So in that case, well done. Congratulations to the new couple.

The Red Sox’ DH search now includes Pedro Alvarez

NEW YORK, NY - AUGUST 27:  Pedro Alvarez #24 of the Baltimore Orioles walks back to the dugout after striking out with the bases loaded to end the top of the first inning on August 27, 2016 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx borough of New York City. (Photo by Christopher Pasatieri/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Red Sox have more or less withdrawn from the Edwin Encarnacion sweepstakes, with Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald noting that much of their reluctance hinges on the likelihood that they’d exceed the new $195 million luxury tax threshold by locking the DH into a lucrative deal. That doesn’t leave them without options, however, and FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reported that the club could be interested in 29-year-old corner infielder Pedro Alvarez, as well as fellow free agents Mike Napoli and Matt Holliday.

After playing just 10 games at DH from 2010 to 2015, Alvarez suited up as the Orioles’ primary designated hitter and part-time third baseman in 2016. His defense is sub-par, to say the least, but he batted .249/.322/.504 with 22 home runs for Baltimore in 2016.

According to Heyman, the Red Sox envision using Alvarez in much the same way the Orioles did. He’d have a place as the team’s DH with the occasional infield start, while Hanley Ramirez would keep his post at first base. Whether the Red Sox make offers to Napoli, Holliday or Alvarez, they’re expected to pursue a short-term deal in order to stay under budget.

Braves sign Jacob Lindgren to one-year deal

OAKLAND, CA - MAY 29:  Jacob Lindgren #64 of the New York Yankees watches Brett Lawrie #15 of the Oakland Athletics round the bases after he hit a home run in the eighth inning at O.co Coliseum on May 29, 2015 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

The Braves signed left-handed reliever Jacob Lindgren to a one-year deal, according to a team announcement on Sunday.

Lindgren, the Yankees’ top draft pick in 2014, was nicknamed “The Strikeout Factory” after blowing through four levels of New York’s farm system in 2014. He started the 2015 season in Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and was called up for his major league debut only two months into the 2015 season. The 22-year-old lasted seven innings with the club before succumbing to bone chips in his elbow, and underwent bone spur surgery in June before trying his luck again during spring training in 2016.

In August, the Yankees shut Lindgren down for the remainder of the season so the lefty could undergo Tommy John surgery. With a projected return date of 2018, Lindgren was non-tendered by the Yankees on Friday.

While the Braves won’t get the benefit of Lindgren’s top prospect skill set in their bullpen anytime soon, he will remain under club control if they keep him on their 40-man roster beyond the 2017 season (per ESPN’s Keith Law).