MLB teams have until December 2 to decide whether to tender contracts to their arbitration-eligible players, but there won’t be any intrigue with the Orioles. According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette confirmed this evening that the club plans to tender contracts to all nine players in question.
“We are planning on tendering those guys,” said Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette. “Most of the guys we have there are real good players.”
The nine players, who due to their service time are eligible to have a panel of three arbiters decide their 2014 salary if they can’t come to an agreement with the club, are: catcher Matt Wieters, first baseman Chris Davis, outfielders Nolan Reimold and Steve Pearace, relievers Troy Patton, Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter and Jim Johnson and starter Bud Norris.
Most of these players are no-brainers, but Reimold and Johnson are interesting cases. Reimold has shown potential at times, but he has been limited to just 56 games over the past two seasons due to multiple neck/spine surgeries. However, he’ll only get a sight raise from the $1 million he made in 2013 and Duquette said he’s doing well in his rehab. As for Johnson, MLB Trade Rumors projects him to make $10.8 million in his final year of arbitration coming off back-to-back 50-save seasons. The Orioles could potentially get similar production for a lesser price, especially with other holes to fill on their roster, but all indications are that he’ll be the ninth-inning man again in 2014.
Duquette also mentioned that he has yet to engage in extension talks with either Wieters or Davis. Both players are two years away from free agency.
Last week it was widely speculated that Shohei Otani, the highly-touted Japanese pitcher/designated hitter who stars for the Nippon Ham Fighters, would not come to the United States to play due to changes in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The upshot: the new CBA caps money available to international free agents under age 25 at $5-6 million and Otani, 22, would be worth way more than that, so why take the pay cut?
Now, however, Jeff Passan of Yahoo reports that the Fighters are set to post Shotei Otani following the 2017 season. Passan says that his sources have told him that there are potential ways around the limit on spending for under-25 players like Shohei Otani and he links a Japanese article from Sponichi which says the Fighters would post him after the 2017 season.
It’d be interesting to see what that loophole is. Without knowing the exact terms of the CBA on this score it’s impossible to know, but one possibility is that there are different rules applicable to those with professional experience in other countries as opposed to amateur free agents.
Whatever the case, the notion that we could see Otani in the U.S. at age 23 or 24 is pretty exciting.
Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly reports that the Phillies are close to signing free agent reliever Joaquin Benoit. An announcement is expected before the winter meetings end on Thursday.
Benoit, 39, has quietly been among the better relievers in baseball over the past seven years. This past season with the Mariners and Blue Jays, the right-hander put up an aggregate 2.81 ERA with a 52/24 K/BB ratio in 48 innings. That included a 0.38 ERA in 23 2/3 innings after the Jays acquired him from the Mariners.
Benoit suffered a torn calf muscle during a benches-clearing brawl with the Yankees near the end of the regular season. He’s expected to be healthy for spring training.
The Phillies have now added three relievers this offseason with Benoit, Pat Neshek, and David Rollins.