General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it clear that the Phillies were prepared to move on to other catching options if Carlos Ruiz wanted to take his time making a decision, but that won’t be necessary as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Ruiz is re-signing with Philadelphia.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that it’s a three-year, $26 million contract, which is the type of commitment not often made to soon-to-be 35-year-old catchers coming off down seasons.
Ruiz was heavily linked to the Rockies right away this offseason and reports last week had him being offered at least $20 million over two years by some team. Troy Renck of the Denver Post says that team wasn’t the Rockies, who apparently offered Ruiz a two-year, $15 million deal with a 2016 option.
Ruiz, who’s spent his entire eight-season career with the Phillies, sat out the first 25 games on suspension this year and then hit .268 with five homers and a .688 OPS for his worst production since 2008. He did, however, hit well during the final two months.
UPDATE: Gelb says the three-year deal also includes a fourth-year team option for 2017, when Ruiz will be 38 years old.
UPDATE #2: Ruiz’s contract includes $500,000 bonuses for each season if he starts 125 or more games at catcher. His career-high? 113.
Tigers’ center fielder Anthony Gose wants to try his hand at pitching, according to comments made by manager Brad Ausmus on Sunday. Gose is poised to start the year in Triple-A Toledo after receiving a midseason demotion to Double-A last summer following an altercation with Triple-A manager Lloyd McClendon.
While the experiment won’t detract from Gose’s outfield work in Triple-A, the 26-year-old is expected to take on additional bullpen sessions throughout the year. According to MLB.com’s Jason Beck, the left-handed hitter last took the mound in high school, where his fastball was clocked as fast as 97 m.p.h. Gose ultimately rejected the idea of starting his professional career as a pitcher, despite receiving favorable assessments from scouts.
Ausmus said the idea first surfaced at the end of the 2016 season. It appears to be a fallback option for the outfielder, who has struggled at the plate over his five-year career in the majors. Via Chris McCosky of the Detroit News:
Doolittle in Oakland did it and he was in the big leagues a couple of years later,” Ausmus said. “It’s going to take some time. He’s going to have to be a sponge and catch up on experience fast. But we feel it’s worth investigating.
Nationals’ right-hander Stephen Strasburg will take the mound for the club on Opening Day, manager Dusty Baker said on Sunday. The news is hardly surprising given Max Scherzer’s questionable status this spring, though it had yet to be confirmed by the club.
Strasburg is approaching his eighth run with the club in 2017. He went 15-4 in 2016, finishing the year with a 3.60 ERA, 2.7 BB/9 and 11.2 SO/9 in 147 2/3 innings. This will mark his fourth Opening Day assignment with the Nationals.
Scherzer, the Nationals’ Opening Day starter in both 2015 and 2016, is scheduled to make his season debut sometime during the first week of the season. The right-hander is expected to take things more slowly this spring as he finishes rehabbing a stress fracture in his finger.
The Nationals will open their season against the Marlins on April 3.