cano gray getty

Robinson Cano “ready for this to go past Christmas, into January if necessary”


Long time Yankee and current free agent second baseman Robinson Cano is expected to sign a very lucrative contract this off-season, making his next deal not a matter of if, but when. So far, though, talks involving Cano and other suitors have been few and far between. At the end of September, he was reportedly asking for $305 million.

John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to someone close to Cano who said the second baseman is “ready for this to go past Christmas, into January if necessary”. Harper added:

If that’s true, don’t expect Cano to panic and sign what he would consider a below-market contract with the Yankees just because no team has come forward yet to show interest in paying him the $200 million-$300 million he wants in a deal of seven or more years.

“He wants his money, that’s the bottom line,” the person close to the situation said. “He wants to be a Yankee, but only if he gets the money he wants.”

Cano, a nine-year veteran, turned 31 years old last month, so a deal of seven or more years would take him through his age-37 season, a fact any team considering pursuing him will keep in mind. However, he has been the best second baseman in baseball over the last four years, ranking ahead of Ben Zobrist and Dustin Pedroia in Wins Above Replacement, according to Baseball Reference.

Shawn Tolleson becomes a free agent

Leave a comment

The Rangers outrighted reliever Shawn Tolleson off the 40-man roster on Wednesday. Rather than accept the assignment to Triple-A Round Rock, Tolleson has opted to become a free agent, Rangers executive VP of communications John Blake reports.

Tolleson, 28, emerged as a closer for the Rangers in 2015, but his follow-up campaign this year was dreadful. He finished with a 7.68 ERA and a 29/10 K/BB ratio in 36 1/3 innings. He eventually went on the 60-day disabled list with a back injury.

Despite the nightmarish season, it’s easy to see a team deciding to take a flier on Tolleson for the 2017 season.

Indians strongly considering starting Carlos Santana in left field sans DH

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 19:  Carlos Santana #41 of the Cleveland Indians celebrates after hitting a solo home run in the third inning against Marco Estrada #25 of the Toronto Blue Jays during game five of the American League Championship Series at Rogers Centre on October 19, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Elsa/Getty Images
1 Comment

Indians slugger Carlos Santana hasn’t played in the outfield in a major league game since 2012, but the Indians are strongly considering starting him in left field for Game 3 of the World Series at Wrigley Field on Friday,’s Jordan Bastian reports. As the game is hosted in a National League park, there is no DH rule in effect, so the Indians might otherwise have to keep Santana on the bench.

Santana is hitless in six at-bats in the World Series thus far, but he has drawn two walks. He has overall not had a great postseason, carrying an aggregate .564 OPS in 40 plate appearances since the beginning of the playoffs. Still, during the regular season, he had an .865 OPS so he can certainly be a threat on offense at any given moment.