Long time Yankee and current free agent second baseman Robinson Cano is expected to sign a very lucrative contract this off-season, making his next deal not a matter of if, but when. So far, though, talks involving Cano and other suitors have been few and far between. At the end of September, he was reportedly asking for $305 million.
John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to someone close to Cano who said the second baseman is “ready for this to go past Christmas, into January if necessary”. Harper added:
If that’s true, don’t expect Cano to panic and sign what he would consider a below-market contract with the Yankees just because no team has come forward yet to show interest in paying him the $200 million-$300 million he wants in a deal of seven or more years.
“He wants his money, that’s the bottom line,” the person close to the situation said. “He wants to be a Yankee, but only if he gets the money he wants.”
Cano, a nine-year veteran, turned 31 years old last month, so a deal of seven or more years would take him through his age-37 season, a fact any team considering pursuing him will keep in mind. However, he has been the best second baseman in baseball over the last four years, ranking ahead of Ben Zobrist and Dustin Pedroia in Wins Above Replacement, according to Baseball Reference.
This is happening, people.
Earlier we heard Joe Maddon being non-committal about Kyle Schwarber joining the Cubs for the World Series. Now it seems pretty clear that the Cubs are committal indeed: Jon Morosi reports that Schwarber is en route to Cleveland from Arizona on a private jet and that he’s expected to DH in Game 1 tomorrow night.
Schwarber hasn’t played in a game that counted since April 7. His potent bat is could be a windfall for a Cubs team that didn’t have a game-changing option at DH in the American League park.
Schwarber lost the whole season due to a knee injury, but he hit .246/.355/.487 with 16 homers and 43 RBI in 69 games as a rookie in 2015. His big coming out party was in the playoffs, however, when he hit three homers in five postseason games while going 7-for-13 with two walks in five games.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Indians First Baseman/DH Carlos Santana shagged some flyballs in left field during the Indians’ workout today.
Sure, why not? Santana has played one game in the outfield in his major league career and that was over four years ago, but the Indians will have to play in Chicago without the DH, meaning either losing Santana’s bat or that of Mike Napoli.
It would be up to Terry Francona to decide if that happens, but ultimately I don’t think he’ll make it real and, rather, will just forget about it, because Santana’s defense out there would in no way be smooth.
I’m sorry. I’m sick today and I’m on a lot of cold medicine.