Report: MLB impeded a Florida Department of Health investigation when it bought Biogenesis docs

28 Comments

Hey, I realize that an actual arm of the Florida government tasked with protecting the health and welfare of Florida citizens has a job to do, but that crap has to go by the wayside when Major League Baseball is getting bad publicity and Bud Selig has a legacy to secure. It’s all about priorities, people:

Major League Baseball officials impeded a Florida Department of Health investigation of Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch by purchasing clinic documents they likely knew had been stolen and had been warned not to obtain, sources close to the investigation told “Outside the Lines.” . . . A state official said the limited scope of the investigation and its conclusion were direct results of MLB officials purchasing documents related to the since-shuttered clinic at the center of a performance-enhancing drug scandal involving Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and at least a dozen other players.

As I’ve said numerous times: I don’t much doubt that Alex Rodriguez and others used PEDs. But I also don’t believe for an instant that Major League Baseball’s efforts to take them down for it are in any way reasonable or proportional to the severity of the players’ transgressions.

If this source is correct, PED-hysteria in baseball has now directly impeded a state investigation. Was this all really worth it?

UPDATE: Excellent point here too:

 

Cue A-Rod with the “I LEARNED IT FROM YOU, DAD!” speech.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”