Jose Offerman nowhere to be found as lawsuit for 2007 attack looms


You may remember when former major league infielder Jose Offerman attacked two players with a bat while he was a member of the independent Long Island Ducks back in 2007. He may now have to pay for it. If someone can track him down, that is.

John Nathans, one of the players involved in the attack, suffered a head injury which ended his baseball career and sued Offerman and the Ducks for $4.8 million in 2009. The matter is pending in federal court in Connecticut, but the Associated Press reports that Offerman is nowhere to be found:

As a federal lawsuit over the attack heads to trial, the attorney for the journeyman catcher whose career was ended with a swing of Offerman’s bat doesn’t know where the two-time All-Star is – and doesn’t expect him to show up for court.

J. Craig Smith, the attorney for former Bridgeport Bluefins catcher John Nathans, tried to serve Offerman with discovery documents in recent months, with no success.

“It’s been so difficult for me to track him down,” Smith said. “I certainly don’t expect Offerman to show up at court.”

Offerman was charged with felony assault after the attack, but it was dismissed after he was granted a probation program and ordered to take anger management classes. They apparently didn’t do him any good, as he was banned from the Dominican Winter League for life after throwing a punch at an umpire while serving as the manager of the Licey Tigers in 2010. While there’s record of him living in the New York City area, he has flown under the radar ever since.

The trial, scheduled for January, could still go on even if Offerman doesn’t show up to defend himself and he could be held liable for Smith’s injuries. The Ducks have denied any wrongdoing.

Clayton Kershaw completes spring training with a 0.00 ERA

Getty Images

Clayton Kershaw had nothing left to prove when he exited the mound during his last Cactus League start on Friday. He finished camp with a 0.00 ERA, made all the more impressive after he extended his scoreless streak to 21 1/3 innings following 6 2/3 frames of one-hit ball against the Royals.

In six spring training starts this year, the Dodgers southpaw racked up 12 hits, four walks and 23 strikeouts. His velocity appeared to fluctuate between the high-80s and low-90s from start to start, but manager Dave Roberts told reporters that he expects Kershaw to get back up to the 93 m.p.h. range next week. Kershaw is tabbed for his eighth consecutive Opening Day start on Thursday.

The 30-year-old lefty is poised to enter his 11th season with the club in 2018. He went 18-4 in 27 starts last year and turned in a 2.31 ERA, 1.5 BB/9 and 10.4 SO/9 over 175 innings. He suffered his fair share of bumps and bruises along the way, including a lower back strain that required a five-week stay on the disabled list.

The Dodgers will open their season against the Giants on Thursday, March 29 at 7:08 PM ET. Given the sudden rash of injuries that hit the Giants’ rotation earlier today, Kershaw’s Opening Day opponent has not yet been announced.