Report: Yankees are “going to be bold” in bidding for Masahiro Tanaka

25 Comments

We’ve known for quite some time that the Yankees are expected to bid on Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears from sources that they are willing to go to great lengths in order to land him:

Sources with knowledge of the Yankees’ plans said they are “going to be bold” in bidding on the 25-year-old right-hander when the Rakuten Golden Eagles post him, likely later this month. Just how high the Yankees plan on going is unclear, but executives believe the winning bid for the rights to negotiate a contract with Tanaka will top $75 million, nearly a 50 percent premium over the posting fees for Yu Darvish and Daisuke Matsuzaka.

While a posting fee in the range of $75 million would establish a new record for a player coming over from Nippon Professional Baseball, it would not count towards a team’s luxury tax, which obviously appeals to the Yankees. Of course, the two sides would still have to agree on a contract, and we can probably expect something similar to the six-year, $60 million deal the Rangers gave to Darvish.

As Passan notes, the interesting angle with Tanaka is that we’re not sure how the posting process will work this time around, as MLB and NPB are currently negotiating on changes which could allow for the player to have more control on where they’ll end up. George A. King III of the New York Post reported earlier today that a resolution could still be “several weeks away.” The Yankees appear willing to outbid everyone in order to get their man, but the timing could complicate some offseason plans.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”