The Dodgers and Don Mattingly are talking multi-year extension

13 Comments

Just a couple of weeks ago Don Mattingly and Ned Colletti were doing this:

source:

Now they’re talking, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles, and a multi-year deal could be in the offing:

The Los Angeles Dodgers are discussing a new, multiyear contract with manager Don Mattingly, two sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com. No deal is imminent, but there is optimism on both sides that a new deal will be completed.

Previously it was announced that Mattingly would be back for his option year in 2014, but now it seems that he will not be a lame duck when he does.

Which makes sense. As I’ve said before, Mattingly is a great fit in L.A. and had an excellent 2013 season. Not just in terms of results but in terms of meshing a lot of difficult personalities, dealing with that early-season hole the Dodgers dug for themselves and handling the media scrutiny that comes with the job. And when you remember that, when he first got the job, he had a lot of issues with the simple of mechanics of managing, you realize how long a way he’s come.

Major League Baseball is not football or basketball. You can rarely hire a big-name famous guy to run your team and expect it to pay any kind of dividends. The Dodgers are doing the right thing by sticking with Mattingly.

Video: Andrew Toles hammers grand slam in Cactus League win

Getty Images
2 Comments

Dodgers’ left fielder Andrew Toles crushed his first spring training home run on Saturday afternoon. With the bases loaded and a two-run deficit hanging over their heads in the fourth inning, Toles stepped up to the plate against Oakland right-hander Jesse Hahn and unloaded a grand slam on the second pitch he saw.

Third baseman Justin Turner was quick to follow up with a solo jack of his own, bringing the score to a comfortable 7-4 lead by the end of the fourth. Another three-run outburst in the fifth and an eighth-inning RBI single by Austin Barnes raised the final score to 11-6… which, coincidentally, was the same score the Reds used to defeat the Athletics’ second split-squad lineup on Saturday (albeit with a few more RBI walks than grand slams).

Toles, 24, is approaching his sophomore season with the Dodgers in 2017. He slashed .314/.365/.505 with three home runs and an .870 OPS in his first major league season in 2016 and is expected to platoon with the right-handed Franklin Gutierrez in left field this year.

David Price’s season debut could be pushed back to May

Getty Images
1 Comment

David Price showed “strength improvements” in his elbow on Saturday, but Red Sox’ manager John Farrell still doesn’t think the left-hander will be ready to throw by the start of the season — or for a few weeks afterward. According to ESPN’s Scott Lauber, the 31-year-old might not be ready to debut until May at the earliest.

Price hasn’t thrown off of a mound this spring after experiencing soreness in his left elbow on March 1. Surgery doesn’t appear to be necessary, but the Red Sox are playing it extra safe with their No. 3 starter in hopes that rest and rehabilitation will return him to full health sometime during the 2017 season. For now, Price has been restricted to short games of catch until he’s cleared to resume a more rigorous throwing program. Via MLB.com’s Ian Browne:

[There were] strength improvements to the point of putting the ball back in his hand a little more consistently,” said manager John Farrell. “Today’s the first step for that. A short game of catch. That’s what he’s going through. Not off a mound but just to get the arm moving with a ball in flight, and he will continue in this phase for a period of time. There’s no set distance and volume yet to the throws.

The lefty is coming off of a lackluster 2016 season, during which he delivered a 3.99 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 8.9 SO/9 over 230 innings for the Red Sox.