The Dodgers and Don Mattingly are talking multi-year extension

13 Comments

Just a couple of weeks ago Don Mattingly and Ned Colletti were doing this:

source:

Now they’re talking, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles, and a multi-year deal could be in the offing:

The Los Angeles Dodgers are discussing a new, multiyear contract with manager Don Mattingly, two sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com. No deal is imminent, but there is optimism on both sides that a new deal will be completed.

Previously it was announced that Mattingly would be back for his option year in 2014, but now it seems that he will not be a lame duck when he does.

Which makes sense. As I’ve said before, Mattingly is a great fit in L.A. and had an excellent 2013 season. Not just in terms of results but in terms of meshing a lot of difficult personalities, dealing with that early-season hole the Dodgers dug for themselves and handling the media scrutiny that comes with the job. And when you remember that, when he first got the job, he had a lot of issues with the simple of mechanics of managing, you realize how long a way he’s come.

Major League Baseball is not football or basketball. You can rarely hire a big-name famous guy to run your team and expect it to pay any kind of dividends. The Dodgers are doing the right thing by sticking with Mattingly.

Sean Manaea pitches the first no-hitter of 2018

Getty Images
10 Comments

Athletics southpaw Sean Manaea delivered his first career no-hitter against the Red Sox in a decisive 3-0 victory on Saturday night. Any thought of a perfect game was banished in the first at-bat, when Mookie Betts drew a leadoff six-pitch walk to open the first inning. From there, Manaea was nearly flawless, holding the Sox to four total baserunners and striking out 10 of 30 batters faced — a career record.

Manaea was gifted a three-run lead thanks to RBI doubles from Jed Lowrie and Stephen Piscotty and Marcus Semien‘s solo shot off of Chris Sale in the fifth inning. While the Red Sox managed to draw two walks off of Manaea, they didn’t come anywhere close to plating a run. Andrew Benintendi tried to break up the no-no in the sixth inning with an infield hit down the first base line, but strayed out of bounds and later saw his hit reversed on a call of batter interference.

Entering the ninth inning, the 26-year-old lefty was sitting at just 95 pitches through eight frames of no-hit ball. He quickly deposed Blake Swihart and Mookie Betts with a groundout and fly out, then walked Benintendi on seven pitches. Any threat the Red Sox might have posed was soon eliminated, however, as Hanley Ramirez ground into a force out to complete the no-hitter.

Manaea is the first A’s pitcher to toss a no-no since Dallas Braden’s perfect game against the Rays eight years ago. The last time the Red Sox were on the losing end of a no-hitter was also against an AL West rival, when the Mariners’ Chris Bosio clinched a 2-0 no-no on April 22, 1993. Manaea’s feat is even more outstanding given how dominant the Red Sox have looked this season: prior to Saturday’s defeat, they boasted a 17-2 record and had yet to be shut out during the regular season.