Seattle Mariners v Oakland Athletics

MLB threatens Oakland that the A’s could play in San Francisco next year

39 Comments

The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that Major League Baseball has told the Oakland Coliseum Authority that unless the Authority renews the A’s lease in Oakland for only two years — which the A’s and MLB want — instead of five — which the Authority wants — that the A’s could move to AT&T Park in San Francisco and play its home games as early as next year.

Fun threat! And the visuals on that would be amazing, of course. Especially on those days when the A’s and Giants both play at home on the same day as they do a handful of times each year.

Of course, how realistic a threat it is is another story. The logistics would be hard. But much harder would be getting the Giants approval, which would be required. The same Giants which are objecting to the A’s playing in San Jose as it is. This sort of approval would have a totally different set of incentives, though. For one thing the A’s would presumably pay the Giants huge rent. For another thing, it’d, by definition, be a temporary move. And one that one would assume would end up with the A’s out of town entirely to the first available permanent home than it would end up with them in San Jose, which the Giants don’t want.

One other fun thing: If the threat works and the A’s get only a two-year lease extension, figure on the Coliseum becoming even more intolerable a place for baseball. Think about it: the Coliseum Authority will have a short-timer tenant who likes to play hardball. Think they’ll go out of their way for the A’s in that situation? I probably wouldn’t.

Anyway, I wouldn’t bank on the A’s playing in San Francisco next year. But the relatively audacious nature of this threat will probably lead to many more fun twists and turns as we creep toward the end game in this sad affair.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.