The Marlins “promise” they won’t lose 100 games next year

36 Comments

After unloading a bunch of talent and alienating their fanbase, the Marlins finished with the second-worst record in baseball this season at 62-100. We’ve seen a front office shakeup since the end of the year, with Michael Hill replacing Larry Beinfest as president of baseball operations and Dan Jennings taking over as general manager, but team president David Samson told Christina De Nicola of FOX Sports Florida today that he sees brighter days ahead. In fact, he promises it.

“We want to get out there and get going,” Samson said. “We’re getting ready for another season, and we’re going to win more. I promise you this: We’re not going to lose 100 games next year. Not close.”

You hear that? Not going to lose 100 games. Don’t call for season tickets all at once out there.

It’s hard to take any “promise” seriously with Jeffrey Loria meddling behind the scenes, but there’s no denying that Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez, and Christian Yelich give the Marlins an exciting young core. However, they don’t appear willing to spend on the extra parts to be competitive in the short-term and it’s hard to blame fans who believe that their young players will be headed elsewhere once they get expensive. Stanton will be arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, so he might be the first to go if the Marlins get an offer to their liking.

Video: Gift Ngoepe singles in his first major league at-bat

Justin K. Aller/Getty Images
3 Comments

Pirates infielder Gift Ngoepe, just called up from Triple-A Indianapolis, singled in his first major league at-bat on Wednesday evening against Cubs starter Jon Lester. It was a well-struck ground ball up the middle in the bottom of the fourth inning. Unfortunately for him, the Pirates could not bring him around to score.

Ngoepe, who was pinch-hitting, stayed in the game to play second base.

Shelby Miller getting third opinion on elbow from Dr. James Andrews

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
3 Comments

Diamondbacks starter Shelby Miller was placed on the 10-day disabled list on Monday due to inflammation in his right elbow. He had a second opinion from Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Tuesday and is currently awaiting a third opinion from Dr. James Andrews, Craig Grialou of Arizona Sports reports. That he’s getting a third opinion seems to imply that Miller’s elbow issue is rather serious.

Miller, 26, hasn’t been able to catch a break since joining the Diamondbacks. Last year’s nightmarish season included a finger injury stemming from mechanical woes and a brief demotion to the minor leagues. In 20 starts in the majors last year, Miller posted an ugly 6.15 ERA. This year, his ERA is a mediocre 4.09 over four starts.

The Diamondbacks called up Zack Godley to take Miller’s spot in the rotation. There was some speculation that it would be Archie Bradley instead, but he’s been working out of the bullpen.