The Marlins “promise” they won’t lose 100 games next year

36 Comments

After unloading a bunch of talent and alienating their fanbase, the Marlins finished with the second-worst record in baseball this season at 62-100. We’ve seen a front office shakeup since the end of the year, with Michael Hill replacing Larry Beinfest as president of baseball operations and Dan Jennings taking over as general manager, but team president David Samson told Christina De Nicola of FOX Sports Florida today that he sees brighter days ahead. In fact, he promises it.

“We want to get out there and get going,” Samson said. “We’re getting ready for another season, and we’re going to win more. I promise you this: We’re not going to lose 100 games next year. Not close.”

You hear that? Not going to lose 100 games. Don’t call for season tickets all at once out there.

It’s hard to take any “promise” seriously with Jeffrey Loria meddling behind the scenes, but there’s no denying that Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez, and Christian Yelich give the Marlins an exciting young core. However, they don’t appear willing to spend on the extra parts to be competitive in the short-term and it’s hard to blame fans who believe that their young players will be headed elsewhere once they get expensive. Stanton will be arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, so he might be the first to go if the Marlins get an offer to their liking.

Report: Twins sign Erick Aybar to a minor-league deal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Twins have reportedly signed free agent shortstop Erick Aybar to a minor-league deal, LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune reported Friday. FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman adds that the deal comes with a potential $1.25 million if Aybar reaches the majors, with additional incentives based on plate appearances. He’ll be able to opt out on March 27. The team has yet to confirm the signing.

Aybar, 34, is now four years removed from his career year in 2014. He’s been in a state of steady decline since then, slashing just .234/.300/.348 with seven home runs and 11 stolen bases over 370 plate appearances for the Padres in 2017. His poor performance wasn’t helped by a fractured left foot, either, which cost him almost six weeks on the disabled list.

Still, the Twins see something promising in the veteran infielder, and reportedly intend to use him as another utility option this spring. Per Neal, Aybar will join fellow backup infielders Eduardo Escobar and Ehire Adrianza and may even (temporarily) take over for Miguel Sano at third base if Sano isn’t able to shape up for the role by Opening Day.