Twice already the Dodgers were said to be signing 26-year-old Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, first in July and then in September. Both times it was reportedly a $32 million contract and both times the deal never got completed.
Now they’ll try for a third time, as Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Guerrero and the Dodgers have agreed to a four-year, $28 million deal … worth up to $32 million in potential value.
Guerrero played mostly shortstop in Cuba, but many teams apparently view him as more of a second baseman and taking over for Mark Ellis there next season makes sense with the Dodgers. He was considered one of the best all-around players in Cuba and, much like they did with Yasiel Puig, the Dodgers are making good use of their huge revenue and payroll advantage by spending in one of the few places where spending on international players isn’t capped by MLB.
This is probably bad news for Robinson Cano, as it takes the Dodgers out of the market (or even the hypothetical market) for a stud second baseman, although Magic Johnson made it pretty clear last month that Cano wasn’t likely to wind up in Los Angeles anyway.
Last week, Cuban first baseman Jose Abreu signed a six-year, $68 million deal with the White Sox.
Yankees first baseman Greg Bird gave his team tons of confidence to hand him the everyday job at first base to start the 2017 regular season, batting .451/.556/1.098 with eight home runs in 51 spring at-bats. But he’s followed that up by hitting .107/.254/.214 through the first month of the regular season.
GM Brian Cashman doesn’t have any intent to demote Bird back to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports. Cashman said, “It’s not even an option for me in my mind right now, at all.”
Bird didn’t start Sunday’s game against the Orioles, a 7-4 loss in 11 innings. Lefty Wade Miley started for the Orioles, prompting manager Joe Girardi to put Chris Carter into the lineup at first base. If Bird isn’t able to figure things out, Carter might have an increased role on the team.
Rays starter Chris Archer threw his first pitch to Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista behind the slugger’s back with one out in the first inning of Sunday afternoon’s game in Toronto. Bautista and Archer then had a staredown. Home plate umpire Jim Wolf issued warnings to both teams. Bautista ultimately flied out to right field and he appeared to have a quick word with Archer on his way back to the dugout.
Archer could have been exacting revenge — euphemistically known as “protecting his teammate” — because Jays reliever Joe Biagini hit Rays outfielder Steven Souza in the seventh inning of Saturday’s game. Souza was forced to leave the game and underwent an X-ray, which came back negative. He was held out of Sunday’s lineup. Biagini’s pitch did not appear to be intentional.
The Jays won Sunday’s contest 3-1 with no further incident. The two clubs meet again in Tampa for a three-game series starting on May 5, so we’ll see if Sunday was the last of the bad blood between them.