UPDATE: Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that the White Sox and Abreu have a deal, pending a physical. The two sides have agreed to a six-year, $68 million contract, confirming Rosenthal’s original report.
10:36 p.m. ET: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports confirms that the Rangers will not sign Abreu. He also hears that the White Sox are the favorites.
9:32 p.m. ET: Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News hears that despite the Rangers’ interest, the White Sox are still expected to land Abreu.
9:15 p.m. ET: It’s not a done deal yet. T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers are “definitely making a push” for Abreu. While the White Sox are also in the mix, one source familiar with the negotiations tells Sullivan that Texas is expected to sign him. Stay tuned.
8:40 p.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Cuban slugger Jose Abreu is close to finalizing terms on a six-year, $68 million contract. The 26-year-old is expected to land with the White Sox, confirming speculation from reports earlier today.
If true, this deal would be the richest first-time contract ever for an international player, topping Yu Darvish’s six-year, $56 million contract with the Rangers. And just to compare this with other high-profile players from Cuba, Yasiel Puig inked a seven-year, $42 million deal with the Dodgers last June while Yoenis Cespedes received a four-year, $36 million contract from the Athletics two offseasons ago.
Abreu might not be as dynamic as Puig or Cespedes, but he’s highly regarded for his power potential. Assuming the deal gets one, he’ll take over first base from Paul Konerko in Chicago.
The Reds announced on Thursday that the protective netting at Great American Ball Park will be extended to the end of each dugout in time for Opening Day next season. The press release notes that the current netting meets Major League Baseball’s guidelines and the new netting will go beyond those standards.
The netting “debate” came back on Wednesday when a young fan was struck in the face by a foul ball at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have done about the bare minimum in installing protective netting, which rightly earned them criticism. Brian Dozier, Todd Frazier, and Didi Gregorius each said yesterday that the netting should be extended. Other teams and Major League Baseball in general received criticism. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, for example, said the relative lack of action on MLB’s part is “morally repugnant.”
Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that the Reds had already had this idea prior to Wednesday’s incident at Yankee Stadium.
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado will become eligible for free agency after the 2018 season and is likely to get a windfall. The club, however, isn’t expected to pursue trading their star at the hot corner this offseason, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.
Machado, 25, has been one of baseball’s best players since debuting in 2012. He had a slow start to the 2017 season, seeing his OPS nearly drop below .700 in early July, but a strong second half has made his overall numbers more than respectable. Machado is batting .264/.318/.484 with 32 home runs and 92 RBI in 651 plate appearances while playing Gold Glove-caliber defense at third base.
Just because the Orioles don’t plan to move Machado this offseason doesn’t mean they won’t try to recoup some value ahead of next year’s non-waiver trade deadline. According to Heyman, a person involved with the Orioles said, “It would take us 35 years to find another player like him.”