Torii Hunter eager to extend his playing career past 2014

2 Comments

Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter is through year one of his two-year deal signed in November last year. He’ll turn 39 years old on July 18, so the thought was that the contract would create a clear path into retirement, but Hunter sounds eager to continue playing beyond that. Via MLB.com:

Asked Friday, prior to his team’s American League Championship Series workout at Fenway Park, if he plans on retiring after the 2014 season, Hunter said: “Nope. I think I’m going to play five more years. I’m 28, man!”

The last part was a joke, and the media contingent laughed, but Hunter wants to stay with the Tigers a little longer and is certain that next season won’t be his last in the big leagues.

“No, it won’t be. It won’t be,” Hunter said. “I want to play past that contract.”

Hunter had a renaissance season of sorts, hitting .304 with an even .800 OPS and 17 home runs. He is only a year removed from a 5.8 WAR season with the Angels, per Baseball Reference, and he finished the regular season with 2.1 in 2013, so he certainly has something left in the tank.

Whether Hunter will prolong his career with the Tigers or with another club is another conversation entirely. They will still have their core players in 2015, including Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, Justin Verlander, and Anibal Sanchez, but it’s hard to tell if they’ll produce at such a high level that the TIgers will continue to be a powerhouse.

Rays acquire Adeiny Hechavarria from the Marlins

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Rays have acquired shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria from the Marlins, Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports. The Marlins will receive minor league outfielder Braxton Lee and pitcher Ethan Clark. The Rays are expected to assume the remainder of Hechavarria’s $4.35 million salary for the 2017 season.

Hechavarria, 28, has only played in 20 games this season due to an oblique injury. He has mustered a meager .277/.288/.385 triple-slash line with four extra-base hits and six RBI across 67 plate appearances. He still plays decent defense, though, so that may be enough for him to take the everyday shortstop job in Tampa.

Lee, 23, was selected by the Rays in the 12th round of the 2014 draft. This season with Double-A Montgomery, his second stint there, Lee hit .318/.387/.391 over 296 PA.

Clark, 22, was taken in the 15th round of the 2015 draft by the Rays. In his first stint at Single-A in Bowling Green, Clark has a 3.11 ERA with a 50/18 K/BB ratio in 55 innings of work.

Nats players are fed up with their bullpen issues

Getty Images
8 Comments

Tom Boswell of the Washington Post does frequent Q&As with readers and today he had quite the A to one of their Qs.

The question was about the Nats’ bullpen, which is obviously a glaring weakness on an otherwise excellent team. Following a long answer talking about the approach to bullpen construction, he dropped this:

On Friday, yet ANOTHER National simply walked up to me and said, “When the hell are they going to get this done? What are they waiting for? Waiting is just doing more damage.”

He didn’t even have to say what subject he was talking about or whom “they” were but it’s the bullpen and the Lerners.

A team has a problem when all a reporter has to do is say, “How’s it going?” and an established part of the team blasts the owners for not understanding what’s happening in their own dugout/clubhouse.

The Nats have a bit of a history venting to the Post’s reporters in ways a lot of players don’t vent, but that’s usually when things are going bad overall. These days, things are going pretty good for the Nats, the bum bullpen notwithstanding. I guess one weakness on an otherwise good team is annoying as hell.

But I guess now that they’re getting K-Rod, all of that will end.