Dusty Baker was fired by the Reds today with one season and $3 million remaining on his contract, which led to speculation that he might decide to take a year off before going after a new gig in 2015.
However, in speaking to the Cincinnati media this afternoon Baker said: “I’m not retiring. I’m not taking a year off unless I’m forced to.”
Baker also confirmed Jon Heyman’s report on CBSSports.com that he balked at general manager Walt Jocketty wanting to fire hitting coach Brook Jacoby, telling C. Trent Rosencraus of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
We talked about Brook about a week ago, and they were talking about replacing him and I didn’t think that was right. All the coaches get blamed for everything. Maybe it was time to go. I did say something like that–and they did it. It wasn’t a mutual thing. There’s probably some other things in there, some things that were said or didn’t get said, stuff that was done over the years and then they said we didn’t have much motivation and spunk over the last week–but our pitching was bad and we didn’t hit.
Baker has repeatedly indicated that he thinks the front office should have added more help at the trade deadline, which probably didn’t set very well with Jocketty either.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.