Breaking: Dusty Baker is out as Reds manager. The Associated Press had the first reports, and then the always reliable John Fay confirmed:
We did not see this coming. Especially given that, just two days ago, Reds GM Walt Jocketty said that he did not think that there was any question that Baker would be back given that he was under contract through 2014. My guess: this was an ownership call.
Baker was 509-463 in six years as the Reds manager. He led them to two NL Central titles and, with this year’s wild card, he took them to the playoffs three times. But Baker’s performance in the playoffs has been harshly criticized by some in Cincinnati, and the Reds have yet to win a playoff series under him. They are 2-7 in the playoffs in that time. Of course the team had missed the playoffs for a dozen years running before he got there.
For Baker, you wonder if this is the end of the managing road. On the one hand, he obviously still knows what he’s doing, continues to maintain the confidence of his players and, based on the fact that the Reds have won 90+ games in three of the past four years, he’s obviously effective. On the other hand he’s 64 years-old and you wonder if he wants to start anew someplace else.
For everyone else: another plum manager’s job is open. Both Washington and Cincinnati are ready-made “win now” jobs that should attract a number of good candidates.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.