Mets would consider re-signing Johan Santana

15 Comments

Johan Santana has already said that he plans to come back from shoulder surgery to pitch next season and yesterday Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said he’s open to re-signing the left-hander after the team buys out his $25.5 million option for $5.5 million to make him a free agent.

Here’s what Alderson said during an interview with WFAN radio, via Matt Ehalt of ESPN New York:

I think that’s a possibility. I don’t really know what Johan’s thinking. We’ll talk to him, I’m sure, over the next couple of weeks but I think he wants to pitch. We’ll just have to see what the market is for these guys and how much of our resources we want to allocate to somebody coming off injury or somebody you hope was able to pitch for you at a higher level.

Santana will almost surely have to settle for an incentive-laden one-year contract after missing all of this season and starting a total of just 21 games since 2011. As a Twins fan part of me is kind of hoping for a return to Minnesota, but if he’s available cheaply odds are quite a few contenders could show interest in Santana too.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”