Well this was bizarre. After the completion of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game, Dodgers setup man and former Giants closer Brian Wilson walked across the field to the box of Giants CE) Larry Baer and began shouting at him. Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com has the story:
“Just a conversation between me and him,” said Wilson, when I asked him what that was all about.
But as we told you first on CSNBayArea.com, Wilson was steamed that he still hasn’t received his 2012 World Series ring, and he was letting Baer know he wasn’t happy about it.
Baggarly spoke to Giants officials who are totally perplexed. Apparently they have tried to give the ring to Wilson on several occasions, but each time they have been rebuffed by Wilson’s people. Baggarly says Wilson has his ring now, as it was given to Dodgers officials to give to Wilson.
It was a weird year for Wilson, as he made a point to stay out of the public eye as he rehabbed his arm and, rather than try to make any deal with a team early on, waited until he was sure he could pitch before ultimately signing with the Dodgers. It was a good baseball move for him — he’s been lights out since he came back — but secreting himself up on some mountain with samurais or whatever also made him a hard man to reach, I figure.
So much drama, but there’s always drama around Wilson.
The Cubs soundly defeated the Cardinals on Monday night, 10-2, sending their magic number down to one. They will try to clinch the NL Central on Tuesday with another win against the Cardinals. Alternatively, if they lose, they can still clinch if the Brewers also lose on Tuesday.
The Cubs, of course, won the Central last year en route to winning their first World Series since 1908. It wasn’t nearly as easy this year as the club was below .500 entering June and was exactly at .500 entering July. A 16-8 July, 17-12 August, and 15-8 September have helped put the Cubs back in position to return to the postseason.
Not to be forgotten, the Cardinals were eliminated from NL Central contention with Monday’s loss. Now they have their sights set on the second NL Wild Card slot and currently trail the Rockies in that race.
The matchups for Tuesday’s action:
Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Padres pitcher Carter Capps will undergo surgery this offseason to address thoracic outlet syndrome, which doctors believe caused the right-hander’s blood clots. The Padres hope to have him ready by spring training next year.
Capps, 27, underwent Tommy John surgery last year and didn’t debut this season until August 7. He made 11 relief appearances, yielding nine runs on 12 hits and two walks with seven strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings. He went back on the DL on September 12 due to the blood clot issue.
The Padres acquired Capps from the Marlins last July in the Andrew Cashner trade which ended up having a lot of moving parts. Capps will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility this offseason. It’s quite possible the Padres choose to non-tender him.