Brian Wilson shouts at Giants CEO Larry Baer following Dodgers-Giants game

48 Comments

Well this was bizarre. After the completion of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game, Dodgers setup man and former Giants closer Brian Wilson walked across the field to the box of Giants CE) Larry Baer and began shouting at him. Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com has the story:

“Just a conversation between me and him,” said Wilson, when I asked him what that was all about.

But as we told you first on CSNBayArea.com, Wilson was steamed that he still hasn’t received his 2012 World Series ring, and he was letting Baer know he wasn’t happy about it.

Baggarly spoke to Giants officials who are totally perplexed. Apparently they have tried to give the ring to Wilson on several occasions, but each time they have been rebuffed by Wilson’s people. Baggarly says Wilson has his ring now, as it was given to Dodgers officials to give to Wilson.

It was a weird year for Wilson, as he made a point to stay out of the public eye as he rehabbed his arm and, rather than try to make any deal with a team early on, waited until he was sure he could pitch before ultimately signing with the Dodgers. It was a good baseball move for him — he’s been lights out since he came back — but secreting himself up on some mountain with samurais or whatever also made him a hard man to reach, I figure.

So much drama, but there’s always drama around Wilson.

Report: Twins sign Erick Aybar to a minor-league deal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Twins have reportedly signed free agent shortstop Erick Aybar to a minor-league deal, LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune reported Friday. FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman adds that the deal comes with a potential $1.25 million if Aybar reaches the majors, with additional incentives based on plate appearances. He’ll be able to opt out on March 27. The team has yet to confirm the signing.

Aybar, 34, is now four years removed from his career year in 2014. He’s been in a state of steady decline since then, slashing just .234/.300/.348 with seven home runs and 11 stolen bases over 370 plate appearances for the Padres in 2017. His poor performance wasn’t helped by a fractured left foot, either, which cost him almost six weeks on the disabled list.

Still, the Twins see something promising in the veteran infielder, and reportedly intend to use him as another utility option this spring. Per Neal, Aybar will join fellow backup infielders Eduardo Escobar and Ehire Adrianza and may even (temporarily) take over for Miguel Sano at third base if Sano isn’t able to shape up for the role by Opening Day.