Jason Grilli was eased back into things as a set-up man after returning from a forearm strain earlier this month, but Pirates manager Clint Hurdle told Tom Singer of MLB.com this afternoon that they will rely on him as their closer the rest of the way.
Grilli notched his first save since July 21 on Saturday against the Reds. Hurdle initially indicated that it was a one-day change, as Mark Melancon was coming off back-to-back blown saves, but he told Singer today that he’s “going back” to the way things were “before Jason got hurt.” This means that Melancon will serve as the primary set-up man once again while Tony Watson will fall back into seventh-inning duties.
Grilli has allowed four runs on nine hits and two walks over six innings since coming off the disabled list, but he has delivered three straight scoreless appearances. The Pirates will have to hope that he is rounding into form at just the right time for the postseason.
The Red Sox are expecting to go to an arbitration hearing with left-handed reliever Fernando Abad, per Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe. Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski said there was a “decent chance” a hearing would be necessary after countering Abad’s $2.7 million request with $2 million.
Abad, 31, pitched just 12 2/3 innings for Boston after the club acquired him from Minnesota at the trade deadline last season. The lefty earned a cumulative 3.66 ERA, 4.2 BB/9 and 7.9 SO/9 for the two teams in 2016. He received $1.25 million in 2016 and will remain under club control (through arbitration) in 2017. A $2.7 million salary would be a hefty increase for the veteran reliever, who has seen a significant decline since he put up a 1.57 ERA for the Athletics in 2014 and who has not amassed more than 0.6 fWAR in any single season to date.
While the Red Sox aren’t close to settling with Abad, Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald reports that they may be closing in on a settlement with left-handed starter Drew Pomeranz. Pomeranz filed at $5.7 million, while the Sox felt more comfortable at $3.6 million. The two are expected to meet somewhere in the middle to avoid an arbitration hearing later this winter.
The Braves reportedly have a deal in place with free agent catcher Kurt Suzuki, per Chris Cotillo of SB Nation. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal adds that the contract is for one year, $1.5 million with up to $2.5 million in additional incentives.
Suzuki, 33, completed a three-year track with the Twins in 2016, slashing .258/.301/.403 with eight home runs in 373 PA. The veteran backstop likely won’t provide an offensive or defensive upgrade over current starter Tyler Flowers, but should give the Braves some depth at a position they’ve been looking to strengthen since the start of the offseason.
The team has yet to confirm the deal.