A.J. Burnett said during spring training that he was considering retiring after the 2013 season. Six months later, he’s still thinking about the possibility.
According to Karen Price of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Burnett said yesterday that retirement has been in the back of his mind all season and that he’s “50-50” on whether to return in 2014. The 36-year-old indicated that he should have a better idea about the next step depending upon on things play out in October.
“I do want to go out with a bang, and I do want to go out a Pirate,” said Burnett, who will start Saturday against Cincinnati in the Pirates’ second-to-last home game of the regular season.
Burnett has revitalized his career since coming over from the Yankees, posting a 3.47 ERA in 59 starts over the past two seasons. Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said that the club has interest in bringing him back, but he should receive lucrative offers from multiple teams if he decides to continue his career.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.