Andy Pettitte

Andy Pettitte announces that he’s retiring after the season

26 Comments

UPDATE: Pettitte has now made it official, issuing a statement saying: “I’m announcing my retirement prior to the conclusion of our season because I want all of our fans to know now while I’m still wearing this uniform how grateful I am for their support throughout my career. I want to have the opportunity to tip my cap during these remaining days and thank them for making my time here with the Yankees so special.”

==========

Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes that he’s “getting a lot of buzz” that Andy Pettitte will announce his retirement later today.

Pettitte previously retired after the 2010 season, sitting out 2011 before re-signing with the Yankees last year. He pitched very well in 2012 and has been a solid mid-rotation starter this season, throwing 169 innings with a 3.93 ERA and 117/45 K/BB ratio. He’s been particularly good of late with a 2.02 ERA in 49 innings since mid-August, so performance-wise Pettitte is certainly still very capable of being an asset at age 41.

If this is it for Pettitte he’s lined up to make his final two starts in New York this weekend and in Houston next weekend. Those are the only two teams he’s ever played for and Pettitte lives in Texas, so that’s a helluva way to go out.

UPDATE: Sherman has confirmation that Pettitte is indeed calling it quits and says the left-hander “has told friends this season has been very hard on his body physically, much tougher than he had anticipated.” And in a nice bit of timing, his final Yankee Stadium start Sunday is on “Mariano Rivera Day.”

Hisashi Iwakuma’s 2017 option vests, but salary still undetermined

OAKLAND, CA - AUGUST 13: Hisashi Iwakuma #18 of the Seattle Mariners pitches against the Oakland Athletics in the bottom of the third inning at the Oakland Coliseum on August 13, 2016 in Oakland, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)
Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
2 Comments

With last Wednesday’s start against the Yankees, Mariners hurler Hisashi Iwakuma pushed his 2016 innings total up to 2016. That clears the 162-inning hurdle for his 2017 option to vest at $14 million. However, as Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors reports, the language in Iwakuma’s contract also stipulates that the right-hander finish the season without suffering a specific injury.

Iwakuma, 35, was in agreement with the Dodgers on a three-year contract back in December but failed the physical, which nullified the deal. He ended up signing with the Mariners on a one-year, $12 million deal with a full no-trade clause and club options for 2017 and ’18 that vest at specific inning thresholds (162 each or 324 for both seasons).

This season, Iwakuma has stayed healthy, making 26 starts to the tune of a 14-9 record, a 3.81 ERA and a 118/36 K/BB ratio in 163 innings.

Ichiro Suzuki passes Wade Boggs for 27th on baseball’s all-time hits list

MIAMI, FL - AUGUST 28: Ichiro Suzuki #51 of the Miami Marlins grounds out during the 2nd inning against the San Diego Padres at Marlins Park on August 28, 2016 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Eric Espada/Getty Images)
Eric Espada/Getty Images
1 Comment

Marlins outfielder Ichiro Suzuki deposited a single to left-center field in the fourth inning of Monday night’s game against the Mets, then added a double to center field in the eighth. Those mark hits No. 3,010 and 3,011 for Suzuki in his major league career, tying and then moving past Wade Boggs for sole possession of 27th on baseball’s all-time hits list.

Suzuki would come around to score on a double by Xavier Scruggs to break a scoreless tie in the eighth.

Here’s the video of Ichiro’s first hit.

By the end of the season, Suzuki will have presumably moved ahead of Rafael Palmeiro (26th; 3,020) and Lou Brock (25th; 3,023).

Suzuki was 2-for-4 after the double. With baseball’s fifth month nearly complete, the 42-year-old is currently batting .298/.371/.373.