Hunter Pence

The Giants are interested in signing Hunter Pence to an extension


CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have expressed interested in signing outfielder Hunter Pence to a contract extension. Pence, 30, will become eligible for free agency for the first time in his career once the season is over. He has had one of the most productive seasons of his career, currently sitting on an .816 OPS with 21 home runs.

The five-year, $75.25 million contract the Braves gave B.J. Upton and the four-year, $48 million contract the Indians gave Michael Bourn — both signed during the past off-season — would serve as models for Pence’s extension.

Baggarly also notes that the Giants have not approached starter Tim Lincecum about an extension. The 29-year-old is wrapping up his second consecutive subpar season, currently posting a 4.40 ERA. He is earning $22 million this season, the final leg of a two-year, $40.5 million contract extension.

The Giants do plan to extend qualifying offers to both players, meaning that teams without protection would have to surrender a first round draft pick in order to sign either Pence or Lincecum.

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.