Baseball to honor those lost in the 9/11 attacks today

40 Comments

Baseball was an integral part of our nation’s healing after the tragedy of 9/11, and as it has done every year on the anniversary of those attacks, baseball will honor the memory of those lost on that day.

Today there will be on-field tributes at all 15 parks hosting games, with players, coaches and umpires, wearing an American flag patch on the side of their caps (the Blue Jays will have an American flag on one side, Canadian flag on the other). Special lineup cards will be used for each game. Home clubs will mark the anniversary with pregame ceremonies, including a moment of silence, and the “We Shall Not Forget” MLB silhouetted batter ribbon will be displayed throughout ballparks. Today at 12:30 PM MLB Network will re-air the “Nine Innings From Ground Zero” special about the Yankees-Diamondbacks World Series which took place after the attacks.

The caps, as has been the case for a few years, will be available for sale at MLB.com, with 100% of the net proceeds being donated to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum in New York, the Flight 93 National Memorial in Stoystown, Pa., and the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial.

Reds to extend protective netting at Great American Ball Park

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Thursday that the protective netting at Great American Ball Park will be extended to the end of each dugout in time for Opening Day next season. The press release notes that the current netting meets Major League Baseball’s guidelines and the new netting will go beyond those standards.

The netting “debate” came back on Wednesday when a young fan was struck in the face by a foul ball at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have done about the bare minimum in installing protective netting, which rightly earned them criticism. Brian Dozier, Todd Frazier, and Didi Gregorius each said yesterday that the netting should be extended. Other teams and Major League Baseball in general received criticism. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, for example, said the relative lack of action on MLB’s part is “morally repugnant.”

Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that the Reds had already had this idea prior to Wednesday’s incident at Yankee Stadium.

Orioles don’t intend to trade Manny Machado this offseason

Patrick Smith/Getty Images
2 Comments

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado will become eligible for free agency after the 2018 season and is likely to get a windfall. The club, however, isn’t expected to pursue trading their star at the hot corner this offseason, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Machado, 25, has been one of baseball’s best players since debuting in 2012. He had a slow start to the 2017 season, seeing his OPS nearly drop below .700 in early July, but a strong second half has made his overall numbers more than respectable. Machado is batting .264/.318/.484 with 32 home runs and 92 RBI in 651 plate appearances while playing Gold Glove-caliber defense at third base.

Just because the Orioles don’t plan to move Machado this offseason doesn’t mean they won’t try to recoup some value ahead of next year’s non-waiver trade deadline. According to Heyman, a person involved with the Orioles said, “It would take us 35 years to find another player like him.”