Giants starter Yusmeiro Petit has retired 21 Diamondbacks in a row and will bring a perfect game into the eighth inning at AT&T Park. He has thrown 16 of 21 first pitches for strikes and has thrown 64 pitches in total.
Petit has pitched well since being inserted into the Giants’ rotation on August 27, entering tonight with a 3.00 ERA in two starts. He struck out 10 and walked just one in six innings on September 1 against the D-Backs, perhaps a clue of what was to come.
We’ll keep you updated here as Petit attempts to make baseball history. He is attempting to become the 24th pitcher to throw a perfect game.
Update (12:10 AM): Make that 24 for 24. Petit is perfect through eight innings on 80 pitches.
Update (12:27 AM): 26 for 27. Petit lost the perfect game with two outs in the ninth. Eric Chavez laced a single to right field, just in front of right fielder Hunter Pence. Petit retired A.J. Pollock to record the complete game shutout. The Giants won 3-0, pushing the Diamondbacks to eight games behind the second Wild Card.
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.