Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers talks about “blame”

19 Comments

General manager Kevin Towers got a lot of praise earlier this season when the Diamondbacks were in first place, but now that they’ve fallen well behind the Dodgers and nearly out of the playoff picture “blame” is a popular discussion topic in Arizona.

Here’s what the GM told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:

People always wonder, who are you going to blame? Is it the manager? Is it the players? Is it the GM? To me, it’s the organization. It’s all of us. There’s areas where we could all be better. I’m sure there are things that [manager Kirk Gibson] could do differently, will do differently, to make him better. The players, same way. Myself, there’s probably moves or things that if I had to do it over again, I’d do it differently.

It’s worth noting that the Diamondbacks are 71-68, so it’s hardly been a disastrous season, and they’re on pace to be a handful of games better than last year. Still, the Dodgers’ amazing surge combined with the Diamondbacks going 41-44 since June 1 has the heat rising and Towers hasn’t said for certain that Gibson will be back in 2014.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.