Miguel Cabrera has missed three straight games since aggravating his abdominal injury on Friday, but he’s beginning to make some progress.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Cabrera took batting practice prior to today’s game. Though the decision on his return will ultimately come down to the medical staff, Tigers manager Jim Leyland was encouraged by what he saw.
“He was in good spirits today, and I think he’s feeling much, much better to be honest with you,” Leyland said. “I’m just waiting for the clearance from Miguel and the medical team. When I get that, I’ll put him back in there.”
The Tigers have won two out of three with Cabrera out of the lineup and lead the Indians by 8 1/2 games in the AL Central, so there’s no rush to put him back out there. While his absence could cost him a chance at back-to-back Triple Crowns, the top priority is getting him healthy for October.
Last week it was widely speculated that Shohei Otani, the highly-touted Japanese pitcher/designated hitter who stars for the Nippon Ham Fighters, would not come to the United States to play due to changes in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The upshot: the new CBA caps money available to international free agents under age 25 at $5-6 million and Otani, 22, would be worth way more than that, so why take the pay cut?
Now, however, Jeff Passan of Yahoo reports that the Fighters are set to post Shotei Otani following the 2017 season. Passan says that his sources have told him that there are potential ways around the limit on spending for under-25 players like Shohei Otani and he links a Japanese article from Sponichi which says the Fighters would post him after the 2017 season.
It’d be interesting to see what that loophole is. Without knowing the exact terms of the CBA on this score it’s impossible to know, but one possibility is that there are different rules applicable to those with professional experience in other countries as opposed to amateur free agents.
Whatever the case, the notion that we could see Otani in the U.S. at age 23 or 24 is pretty exciting.
Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly reports that the Phillies are close to signing free agent reliever Joaquin Benoit. An announcement is expected before the winter meetings end on Thursday.
Benoit, 39, has quietly been among the better relievers in baseball over the past seven years. This past season with the Mariners and Blue Jays, the right-hander put up an aggregate 2.81 ERA with a 52/24 K/BB ratio in 48 innings. That included a 0.38 ERA in 23 2/3 innings after the Jays acquired him from the Mariners.
Benoit suffered a torn calf muscle during a benches-clearing brawl with the Yankees near the end of the regular season. He’s expected to be healthy for spring training.
The Phillies have now added three relievers this offseason with Benoit, Pat Neshek, and David Rollins.