Diamondbacks receive Matt Langwell to complete the Jason Kubel trade


The Indians acquired outfielder Jason Kubel from the Diamondbacks on Friday for a player to be named later and $200,000. That player to be named later is pitcher Matt Langwell, tweets Nick Piecoro.

Langwell, 27, made his Major League debut on June 2 with the Indians. He allowed one run in one and one-third innings. He would make four more appearances before going back to Triple-A Columbus. Overall, he has a 2.24 ERA with Columbus, striking out 52 and walking 19 in 60.1 innings of work.

Kubel, designated for assignment by the Diamondbacks on August 27, made his Indians debut today against the Tigers, going 1-for-3 with a walk. The Diamondbacks had been using him infrequently, mostly as a pinch-hitter as he has been struggling at the plate this year.

Major League Baseball finds insufficient evidence to discipline Miguel Sano for sexual assualt

Getty Images
1 Comment

In late December Betsy Bissen, a photographer for the Minnesota Twins website, Twins Daily, alleged that Miguel Sano assaulted her a few years ago. Bissen offered a detailed account of the incident.

In the account she said that in 2015 Sano was at an autograph signing at a store at which she volunteered. After the signing, she alleged that Sano grabbed her wrist and forced her to accompany him to a nearby store, attempted to force her through a doorway near the restrooms, tried to kiss her multiple times and continued to hold her, forcibly and painfully, by her wrist, in an effort to get her into the bathroom with him. She said the struggle lasted for 10 minutes, and her screams for help went unanswered.

Major League Baseball announced that it was investigating the matter. A few moments ago, it announced its findings and that it was declining to discipline Sano:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball has completed its investigation into an assault allegation made against Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sano. The comprehensive investigation included interviews of more than 20 individuals, including Sano and the complainant, as well as a review of available documents, including communication records.

At the conclusion of the investigation, the Office of the Commissioner found that there was insufficient evidence to support a disciplinary determination against Sano, due to conflicting and inconsistent witness accounts and the absence of contemporaneous substantiation. Barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, the Office of the Commissioner will not impose discipline on Sano in connection with the alleged incident.

Based on the text of the statement, one may conclude that the league did not find Bissen’s claims to be credible.

This is first investigation of this type, or pursuant to its domestic violence policy under the umbrella of which this investigation presumably falls, which has not resulted in discipline of some kind. At least investigations of which the public was aware.