Toronto has been one of the most disappointing teams in baseball, sitting in last place at 59-73 following an offseason full of huge moves, but general manager Alex Anthopoulos told reporters today that manager John Gibbons’ job is not in jeopardy.
“I actually think, the in-game managing, he has done a great job,” Anthopoulos said, via Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com. “I think it’s so easy to pin results on one person. I think it’s convenient. I just don’t think blame falls on one person. There’s blame to share.”
This is Gibbons’ second stint as Blue Jays manager. He previously held the job from mid-2004 to mid-2008, when a different front office regime fired him with a 35-39 record. Overall he’s 364-378 (.491) as Toronto’s manager. And now we know he’ll be back in 2014.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.