Mets plan to give Travis d’Arnaud significant playing time for remainder of the season

2 Comments

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports is reporting that the Mets plan to give rookie catcher Travis d’Arnaud significant playing time even when John Buck returns from paternity leave. He went 0-for-2 with two walks in the series finale against the Padres this afternoon, maintaining his line on the season at .000/.500/.000 in eight plate appearances over his first two games.

In 78 plate appearances with Triple-A Las Vegas prior to his promotion, d’Arnaud was hitting .304 with a .487 on-base percentage and nearly twice as many walks as strikeouts. He had previously missed a significant portion of the season, between April 17 and August 9, due to a fractured metatarsal in his left foot.

d’Arnaud, rated the #6 overall prospect in baseball entering the season by MLB.com, was one piece that came to the Mets in the R.A. Dickey trade with the Blue Jays. He was joined by prospects Noah Syndergaard and Wuilmer Becerra, as well as the veteran Buck.

Report: Christian Yelich’s relationship with Marlins ‘irretrievably broken’

Rich Schultz/Getty Images
15 Comments

Joe Longo, the agent of Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich, said his client’s relationship with the Marlins is “irretrievably broken,” ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports. He believes in the best interest of both Yelich and the Marlins to work out a trade before the start of spring training.

Longo said,

They have a plan. I respect that plan, but that plan shouldn’t include Christian at this point in his career. He’s in the middle of the best years of his career, and having him be part of a 100-loss season is not really where [we] want to see him going.

The relationship between player and team is irretrievably broken. It’s soured. He’s part of the old ownership regime. The new ownership regime needs to get new parts into this plan and move forward, and he needs to get on with his career where he’s got a chance to win. The big issue is him winning and winning now.

He loves the city of Miami. He loves the fans. He’s had nothing but a good experience in South Florida, and he feels sorry where they ended up. But I think having him report [to spring training] and attempting to include him moving forward is going to be uncomfortable for both sides. I don’t see how it’s going to work.

This certainly comes as no surprise considering the offseason the Marlins have had after installing new ownership, going from Jeffrey Loria to Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter. The club traded All-Star outfielder Giancarlo Stanton, who hit 59 home runs last season, as well as Dee Gordon and Marcell Ozuna. As Crasnick notes, Yelich isn’t the only player to express disappointment with the Marlins’ current direction — J.T. Realmuto and Starlin Castro have as well.

Yelich, 26, signed a seven-year, $49.57 million contract extension with the Marlins in March of 2015. Given his career performance, that’s a bargain of a contract, which is why more than a handful of teams have inquired with the Marlins about him this offseason. Yelich finished the past season with a .282/.369/.439 triple-slash line along with 18 home runs, 81 RBI, 100 runs scored, and 16 stolen bases in 695 plate appearances.