Buck Showalter is in favor of baseball’s new replay system

3 Comments

Commissioner Bud Selig recently announced the proposed additions to the sport’s use of instant replay, including the implementation of a challenge system. It was panned almost universally by pundits and fans, and even a majority of managers aren’t looking forward to it. Orioles manager Buck Showalter, however, is not among them.

CSN Baltimore’s Rich Dubroff’s latest article has a ton of quotes from Showalter on the new system. Though his enthusiasm seems a bit subdued, he is happy baseball is embracing the use of technology more and more.

“I knew the capability they had. They can take it as far as you want to take it. When you have to watch a replay three times to see if it’s right or wrong, it shows you the challenge they have. I can’t imagine a harder sport to umpire or officiate,” Showalter said.

[…]

“I think you’d be surprised at how little delay there actually is. There’ll be some problems. They haven’t sat down and talked to us and shouldn’t because it actually isn’t until next year.”

While the new system portends to get more calls right than ever before, it still has some obvious flaws, in that the nature of the system will still let otherwise-reviewable plays stand without review, either because a manager is stategically reserving his challenges, or because a manager has already used up his allotment. The system has certainly thrived in the NFL, but as George Carlin told us many years ago, the two sports are very, very different.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.