Cody Ross Getty

Cody Ross lands on DL with dislocated hip, likely done for season

9 Comments

The Diamondbacks placed outfielder Cody Ross on the 15-day disabled list today, one day after he dislocated his right hip while running to first base and had to be carted off the field.

The injury immediately looked quite serious and Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers confirmed on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM today that he will likely miss the rest of the season. While it’s a tough blow for second-place Arizona, they have quite a bit of outfield depth with Gerardo Parra, Adam Eaton, Gerardo Parra, and A.J. Pollock in-house. Martin Prado could see more playing time in left field once Eric Chavez comes off the disabled list.

Ross, who joined the Diamondbacks over the winter on a three-year, $26 million contract, is batting .278/.331/.413 with eight home runs and 38 RBI through 94 games this season. The 32-year-old was especially hot recently, hitting .350 with three homers and a .968 OPS since the All-Star break.

UPDATE: Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that Ross is likely to have surgery tomorrow. There’s no clear timetable on his return yet, but Gibson said he’s hoping to have him back for spring training, so it sounds like a return this year can be ruled out.

Nationals will add Mat Latos to the roster on Thursday

ARLINGTON, TX - MAY 11:  Mat Latos #38 of the Chicago White Sox pitches against the Texas Rangers in the bottom of the first inning at Globe Life Park in Arlington on May 11, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thursday is September 1, which means rosters expand. As a result, the Nationals plan to promote pitcher Mat Latos to the major league roster, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Latos had an opt-out clause for Monday, but after discussing the matter with the team, he agreed to stay at Triple-A Syracuse until Thursday.

Latos, 28, put up a 4.62 ERA over 11 starts with the White Sox before being released in mid-June. Nearly two weeks later, he signed a minor league contract with the Nationals.

In the Nationals’ minor league system, Latos has made three starts for the club’s Gulf Coast League team as well as three for Syracuse. In aggregate, the right-hander has yielded six runs (four earned) on 20 hits and 10 walks with 28 strikeouts in 28 innings.

Latos will likely pitch out of a long relief role for the Nationals and can be used as starting rotation insurance as well.

John Gibbons texts Mark Buehrle, “You know, rosters expand in September.”

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - OCTOBER 2:  Mark Buehrle #56 of the Toronto Blue Jays pitches during the second inning of a game against the Tampa Bay Rays on October 2, 2015 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.  (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Brian Blanco/Getty Images
6 Comments

Mark Buehrle hasn’t officially retired, but he hasn’t thrown a pitch in professional baseball since last October. Still, the Blue Jays wouldn’t mind having some insurance, so manager John Gibbons recently texted Buehrle, “You know, rosters expand in September,” Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports.

Buehrle’s response? He texted back a picture of a lake. Sounds like he’s not interested in making a return, at least this year.

Last year, at the age of 36, Buehrle went 15-8 with a 3.81 ERA with a 91/33 K/BB ratio in 198 2/3 innings while leading the league with four complete games. He fell 1 1/3 innings shy of a 15th consecutive 200-inning season. There are many worse ways to end a career.