Yankees official on A-Rod’s comments from Friday night: “This is typical Alex”

60 Comments

Alex Rodriguez made some pointed comments after his rehab game with Double-A Trenton last night, alleging that certain “entities” were conspiring to prevent him from playing while finding “creative ways” to cancel his contract. While the embattled third baseman didn’t come right out and say it, he certainly gave the impression that the Yankees are one of those “entities.”

The Yankees naturally weren’t thrilled about the comments, as least according to one team source who spoke to the New York Daily News.

“This is typical Alex,” one Yankee official told the Daily News on Saturday. “Instead of taking responsibility for his actions, he blames everybody else. It wasn’t the Yankees who introduced [RODRIGUEZ]to Anthony Bosch. It wasn’t the Yankees who introduced him to Dr. Galea, or anybody else.” (The official was referring to Rodriguez’s association with Bosch, who is believed to have distributed performance-enhancing drugs to scores of athletes, and to Galea, a human growth hormone proponent who treated Rodriguez in 2009.)

The source was also said to be “amused” by Rodriguez’s claim that, “I think we all agree that we want to get rid of PEDs; that’s a must.”

Rodriguez still has $100 million remaining on his $275 million contract. Conspiracy theories aside, the Yankees would benefit greatly from a severe suspension or ban.

While Rodriguez will continue his minor league rehab assignment tonight, MLB is expected to announce suspensions by Monday for those connected to Biogenesis. Eight players — including Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, and Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera — are expected to receive 50-game suspensions, but various reports have indicated that MLB is prepared to ban Rodriguez for life if he doesn’t agree to a settlement. Bud Selig has reportedly considered using the “best interests of baseball” clause to keep him off the field if he appeals. And all indications are that Rodriguez is prepared to fight.

Report: Mets have discussed a Matt Harvey trade with at least two teams

Al Bello/Getty Images
2 Comments

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets have discussed a trade involving starter Matt Harvey with at least two teams. Apparently, the Mets were even willing to move Harvey for a reliever.

The Mets tendered Harvey a contract on December 1. He’s entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility and will likely see a slight bump from last season’s salary of $5.125 million. As a result, there was some thought going into late November that the Mets would non-tender Harvey.

Harvey, 28, made 18 starts and one relief appearance last year and had horrendous results. He put up a 6.70 ERA with a 67/47 K/BB ratio in 92 2/3 innings. Between his performance, his impending free agency, and his injury history, the Mets aren’t likely to get much back in return for Harvey. Even expecting a reliever in return may be too lofty.

Along with bullpen help, the Mets also need help at second base, first base, and the outfield. They don’t have many resources with which to address those needs. Ackert described the Mets’ resources as “a very limited stash of prospects” and “limited payroll space.”